Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wrong Processor in Acer

Posted by premio53 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 15:05

I recently bought an acer aspire 5733-6838 which is supposed to have an i3 380m cpu in it but all my diagnostics programs say it actually has an intel core i5-560m which is much faster and will handle more RAM. Which is correct? How could they accidentally ship it with the wrong processor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wrong Processor in Acer

Go here and download then install Speccy. This is a neat little free program that will tell you what your computer has inside, re mobo, cpu, ram, video and other items.

Once you have that info you can use your favourite search engine and check the specs of the motherboard used. You may well be able to install more memory (RAM)

It says here that it has up to 4 gigs but can be expanded to 8 (2 sticks of 4 gigs) but you then need to buy 8 and lose those 4 already installed as 2 sticks of 2 gigs each are taking up the only 2 slots available.

Did you buy this new or from another user? Just wondering if they upgraded to the higher CPU.

o

AS5742-6838

Looks like maybe you got lucky, the model above as far as I can tell gets the i5-560m installed, and as you said your model should have the other one. I'm sure your diagnostic reports are correct, right click on "Computer" in the start menu select "properties" What does it say there for processor.

o

After doing some more checking on the internet I find others also are finding the i5-560m processor in that particular model even though it says differently on the laptop itself. I'll consider it an unexpected bonus. I assume I can upgrade it to 16 gigs of RAM if I wish instead of 8. Nice.

o

You'd likely never notice a difference either way.

o

The down side to 16gb of ram is a hibernate file of maybe 13gb(75%) and a paging file of maybe 24gb(150%) to eat up some hard drive space and add some time to your start up & shut down times. But you sure can open lots of programs, if you don't mind the cpu heat.

o

I like belarc free tells you everything in the pc.

Here is a link that might be useful: belarc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here