SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_va_gw

Very odd email

Sue_va
10 years ago

Sir/Madam,

Your order WM-009672196 delivery has failed because the address was not specified correctly. You are advised to fill this form and send it back to us.

If your reply is not received within one week, you will be paid your money back but 17% will be deducted since you order was booked for Christmas holidays.

2013 Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

Where it says this form there is a clickable link that takes you to WIN ZIP. I tried it again today and it goes to STRATO, but not available.

I know this is not legit, because I had not ordered anything from Wal-Mart, but out of curiosity, I followed the link. I wondered if anyone else has gotten it, or something similar?

So after a week, and they haven't received my reply, I will be repaid my money back minus 17%?

Okay, I'll be waiting!

Sue

Comments (22)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

It is a phishing email. Obviously they are searching for your info and since you replied they have verified your email address. Change your password asap at the very least.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

and in future, BEST NEVER TO OPEN email which you feel cannot possibly be legit. Just opening it can be harmful & that's exactly what they got you to do. AND NEVER OPEN THE ATTACHMENTS ESPECIALLY!

• Related Discussions

Odd Email Delivery Notification ?

Q

Comments (2)
    Over quota would usually mean there is no more room left in the mail box to store it. Think my isp email box is only a few megabytes. Once it reaches the limit, they bounce incoming mail back to the sender. You didnt send it with a huge file attachment ? that could have pushed the box over the limit? I had a guy send me his whole documents folder and all the subfolders ... my isp locked my email box and I had to telnet in to empty it.
    ...See More

Very odd shaped orange habanero

Q

Comments (8)
    Well, you clearly have a cross or a mislabeled seed source. Even if the Habaneros crossed with Bolivian Rainbows, the characteristics would not show up this year. If a habanero plant gets crossed with BR pollen, the pods on that plant will all be Habanero. So, that plant must be from seed that could have been crossed last year. It does clearly have pods that show some characteristics of BR. The pods are similar shape and size and grow upwards. However, the color is not there and the density of pods is not there. Those could be characteristics from the other plant (Habanero?). Or you could have just gotten a hold of some mislabeled seed. If so, I don't know what it would be.
    ...See More

My runt is producing flower buds. Very odd to me.

Q

Comments (4)
    From what I've seen, there is a lot of variation in seedlings. Some branch like crazy from an early age, some bloom early, some never seem to want to bloom, etc. If it were me I'd let it bloom and see how they look.... post an update when they open! (Sometimes new leaves and blooms look similar when they are very small but it is hard to tell from the photo.)
    ...See More

Has anyone seen or know what this is it’s very odd.

Q

Comments (4)
    This wierd thing? That's an inflo, your about to have blooms!
    ...See More
  • Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    10 years ago

I agree with pirate_girl. Best not to let them entice you into opening it.

Searching gives many results that it's a phishing email but at least one person stated that when they opened the attached zip file, it included an executable. I don't know if that's true or not.

I have no idea what/who "STRATO" is but perhaps if it really failed to open you're okay? I'd still scan, probably even before rebooting, just in case something bad got extracted to an autostart location.

I'm no expert though, especially when it comes to malware. Just sharing my "what I'd do".

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

I agree, never click on a link "out of curiousity". The next time you do that, your reward could be a nasty virus.

• Sue_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the replies.

Of course I know all the whats and what nots to do regarding these types of emails. I cut my PC teeth here at this forum many years ago.

Actually my question was "I wondered if anyone else has gotten it, or something similar?"

Sue

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

Please update and run all your AVs and malware detection applications. There was an alert a little while back warning users of fake delivery e-mails which included a hyperlink. When the user clicked on the link besides the appearing page malware was also downloaded.

A basic Google search using the keywords "e-mail delivery malware" (sans quotes) should provide you all you might want to know on the issue.

A ditto to not opening unknown/unsolicited e-mails.

DA

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I have gotten a number of emails which looked legit, luckily I've learned to check carefully before clicking on them. One was from Amazon. But it had a .uk after Amazon. Then there was one from American Airlines concerning flight changes (again .uk) and I didn't make any travel arrangements.

These emails looked legit. They all required opening attachments. I just dumped them in spam.

Jane

• breenthumb
    10 years ago

Your order
    WM-008792532
    delivery has failed because
    the address was not specified correctly. You are advised to fill
    this form
    and send it back to us.

If your reply is not received within one week, you will be paid your
    money back but 17% will be deducted since you order was booked for
    Christmas holidays.

---------------------------------------------

I had just deleted this from my junk mail when I saw your post so went back to see what it said. (I was curious to see if it might be the same right down to the order #.) I checked it, right clicked, selected origin and was able to read it with all the coding showing. Mine came from amychen.hojo.china. Back into delete and empty.

• mikie_gw
    10 years ago

Sir/Madam,

Your order WM-001007141 delivery has failed because the address was not specified correctly. You are advised to fill this form and send it back to us.

If your reply is not received within one week, you will be paid your money back but 17% will be deducted since you order was booked for Christmas holidays.

2013 Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

Sir/Madam,
    Your order BBY-6559770416 has not been delivered because the specified address was not correct.
    Please fill this form and send it back with your reply to this message.

If we do not receive your reply within a week we will pay your money back less 17 because your order was reserved for the time of Christmas holidays.
    Best Buy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I got those,,, 2 from Walmart, 1 from best buy.
    Here's the spooky part..... I had actually logged into best buy on the date matching theirs, but didn't buy anything.... and had been in and out of Walmart grocery a couple times and did actually place an order for grocery delivery. They matched the dates.

I did different full scans here.. nothing. I was guessing BestBuy and Walmart share some service and its hacked in some way. Best Buy had clicked a link to see some emailed special... but Walmart I went direct from address bar.

The PDF they offer inside the zip file is an exe but it doesn't scan as a baddy. I didn't open or try to peek the one exe which was some .ru download.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Each of these phony messages (and all the others I've seen) have something in common - they contain one or more errors of language or grammar. That's the telltale, forget the rest.

They may look legit, they may have the right company logos, so what? Ignore what you think is a coincidence or if (simply through chance) it's consistent with something else you did.

Delete them upon receipt and never click a link or open an attachment for these attempted attacks.

• daylilydayzed
    10 years ago

I've been getting some some emails that say that I am required to show up in court on such and such a date in a case in Calif. The last time I was in Calif was over 25 years ago when I was there for school in the US Navy. I didn't drive a car there because I didn't have one, so no traffic law was broken. I wasn't arrested for any thing so I think it is phishing attempt to get my info.

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

daylily-
    It's another scam. Delete it and go on with your life....

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Those always go to my spam folder. I love my hotmail and gmail accounts :-)

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

lily-
    If you are ever in doubt about something that looks fishy, all you have to do is Google for a few keywords, or a phrase from the email. When I put in "spam court date" it came back with 18 million hits.

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

Well, if you shop on line like I do you can't arbitrarily disregard these type of e-mails nor do they just appear in the SPAM folder. The protocol I have established is the obvious. If the subject line contains the order number I have previously been provided at the conclusion of my transaction I consider it safe, No order number, it is deleted without opening.

DA

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

of course if you've ordered something and the order number matches, then you could consider it valid. Don't you mark junk mail as junk to train your email spam filter to send certain things to the spam folder, Damccoy? It really cuts down on junk mail.

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

As I use strict e-mail protocols I get almost no spam so I don't have to deal with it that often. On the extremely rare occasion I get an obvious one I usually just delete it.

If I marked say a phishing Chase e-mail as junk then how would I get my legitimate Chase e-mails? If I marked blindly a UPS e-mail how would I track a legitimate package? Just my thoughts.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 15:29

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Well, you aren't blocking Chase, you are blocking the domain that the phishing scam is coming from. Those scam email aren't coming from your bank!

I mark stuff from Wal-Mart as 'junk' all the time and typically the junk mail goes to the junk folder, however after doing some online shopping, the real emails regarding my order came right to my inbox. If you are worried, you can always look in the Spam or junk folder prior to emptying it.

We all do what we do, your way is good too.

• biwako_of_abi
    10 years ago

I usually don't click on notices of that sort, but several years ago, one ostensibly from UPS caught me good. I was expecting a package that very day and got a notification that they hadn't been able to deliver it. I took the bait and clicked on the link provided, which claimed that it would give me the details, and instead, I got a really nasty virus.

I like the advice given here not to click unless the correct order number appears in the email. Anyway, once bit, twice shy, and I am much more careful now.

• breenthumb
    10 years ago

Oh, no, I'm a defendant! I'll be sure to open this attachment.

Court hearing notice.

As a defendant you have been scheduled
    to attend the hearing in the Court of New York.
    Hearing date: 28 January 2014
    Hearing time: 9:00 a.m.

Hearing subject: illegal use of software.
    Prior to the court thoroughly study the plaint note in the attachment to this mail.

Sincerely,
    Court agent,
    Sandra Smith

• biwako_of_abi
    10 years ago

Delightful, Breenthumb! lol. ...Though it might catch an unwary person who just happens to have a guilty conscience--or even someone completely innocent, considering the complexities of all the legal notices we are supposed to read and agree to before installing something, which we usually don't bother checking.

• zep516
    10 years ago

2014 January 17 19:11 GMT

Cisco Security Intelligence Operations has detected significant activity related to spam email messages that claim to contain a notification to attend a court hearing for the recipient. The text in the email message attempts to convince the recipient to open the attachment for review the details. However, the .zip attachment contains a malicious .exe file that, when executed, attempts to infect the system with malicious code.

Email messages that are related to this threat (RuleID8513) may contain the following files:

Plaint_Note_US_Copy_N0612.zip
    Plaint_Note_17_01_2014US_Copy_Document.exe