Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't make a system restore point

Posted by debi_2006 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 13:26

I have a new Dell DT with 8GB RAM and 1TB HD. The only program loaded on this is Kapersky antivirus. Before I load decrapifier, I want to make a restore point, but this is the message I get:

Insufficient storage available to create either a shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data (0x8004231F).

I looked this up on the Internet and it appears it might have something to do with a partition not being size right. I won't screw with partitions b/c I'm not familiar with that and wouldn't know how to change them or what to change them to.

I am the administrator of this computer. Anyone know an easy way short of some kind of partition manager, of which I know nothing about and prefer not to play without help? Thanks.

Here's the breakdown my how my partitions are currently set up (by default):

500MB Healthy (EFI system partition)
40MB Heathly (OEM partition)
500MB Healthy (Recovery partition)
OS (c:) 923.76 B NTFS Healthy (boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition)
6.61 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition)

All drives are 100% free except C: which is 96% free. Nothing is Unallocated

If anyone can explain in easy English, not tech talk, so I can understand, I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to take precautions on my new computers in case of failure, unlike I did on old ones, and it's been one headache after another with the DT and laptop.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't make a system restore point

I should mention that I ran a scannow which found nothing.

This computer is so new it has not been used for anything...no docs, pics, music or anything else are not on it - yet.

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 15:05

Win8 I assume... mouse to bottom left and right click, then choose Disk Management. Right click on the lower boxes for your drive partitions to resize...
Shrink and Extend options are there. They're pretty simple, you can explore those options without clicking the final OK do it button.
Before actually resizing you probably should run the windows defrag which will do its best to try to consolidate the files to the beginning area of the win partition.

I've read something about Kaperski messing up some of the win8 partition changes... ummm, if it were my pc, just to be safe if I didn't have a saved image already... I would uninstall completely Kaperski, find the uninstall tool before working with any disk settings especially when resizing partitions.

Its always best to use windows tools when working with partition resizing most people say. I've used a simple tool and watched windows complain, but sometimes windows wont resize things the way you want.

You might want to look around the dell forums to see if resizing breaks the factory restore partition usability. Does with Lenovo's!

This post was edited by mikie on Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 15:08

o

wait you just want to create a restore point right, it will one automatically create one now anytime a program is installed and also before any updates installed. I would check how much size been alloted for your restore points you may need to adjust that to a bit bigger can be done there in system restore settings section.
You should not have to be messing around with partitions at all.
Also if no points have been created by anything in 5 days then it will trigger one to be made. The only thing I would check is that the restore is in fact turned on for your c drive, for some reason my brand new pc came with it turned off.

o

Or the System Restore points are full, maybe from all the crap that was added. You can turn system restore off then back on to clear all restore points, then try an create one.

o

this link shows pictures of the system restore settings section and provides directions.

I would think a brand spanking new pc shouldn't have many restore points yet.

I have never used kaspersky so have no idea if it turns off system restore but I don't think it would alter it.

Here is a link that might be useful: restore

o

My win7 used to screw up and restore not work.. my fix was simply to open CCleaner and use its option to look at Restore points. Once CCleaner populated its window. I could close it and then go use system restore and it would work. Only happened occasionally, and I never spent the time to figure out why.

o

"I would think a brand spanking new pc shouldn't have many restore points yet."

I agree, and we could look at that too

To see the amount of storage space allocated and used for Volume Shadow Copies run the following command from a command prompt with elevated privileges:

a. Click START

b. Type 'cmd' (without quotes)

Vssadmin list shadowstorage <-----Type the command in hit enter.

o

oh another thing you do know that windows 8 comes with antivirus program pre installed and operating. Could be a conflict with both active.

I was reading some forums and have seen complaints of kaspersky not working well on 8. check out their forums maybe.

o

Yes, just trying to make a restore point. It's turned on. Says "no restore points have been created on your computer's system drive. When I try to create one, I get the message in my original post. I have downloaded Windows 8 updates as of yesterday so it appears the restore isn't working....though SCANNOW doesn't show any issues.

o

OK. Check to see if Volume shadow copy service is running.

1.Click on Start, type Services.msc in Start Search. In the following windows look for Volume Shadow Copy service.

2.Right click on Volume Shadow Copy service (VSS) and Check if it is started.

3.If it is stopped select Start or Restart.
Make sure that the service is started and set as Automatic.

o

Zep, just followed your first instructions thus far, but not your last post, as I want to do one thing at a time.

Here's what it says:
Used shadow copy storage space 0%
Allocated shadow coy storage space 0%
Maximum shadow copy storage space 92.4%

o

Do the last post now

o

I followed the last instructions to find the Volume shadow copy service was NOT started so I started it and set to automatic. Tried to create a restore point, and got the same error as original. I did not reboot the computer making those changes, but I did apply them before getting out of the screen. Should I have rebooted?

o

Yes reboot, check the service again, try to create a restore point, Let us know, cause this is next if that fails.

Open a cmd again like you did before, this time copy this,

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=3gb

Copy that in bold above now put you mouse in the black command window and right click and paste the command you copied will paste in, then hit enter. Try to make a restore point.

o

That's way too big it seems to me.
I just reinstalled win8 and looked just now, its set at 10% of 120gb C partition.

Simple way to set the size is via Control panels 'System' icon then on the left margin is 'System Protection' link .. on that window push the configure button to see a slider.
Many defaults are 15% on large drives with plenty of free space. I would set it smaller if mine.

o

OK. We could change that if it works.

o

Zep, Did everything the way you instructed along with a reboot...still can't make a store point - same error.

o

I don't have an answer off the top of my head, I would need to do more research on Insufficient storage available to create either a shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data (0x8004231F)

If you just purchased it I would consider taking it back as there could be more hidden issues undiscovered yet.

Joe

o

I am might try removing kaspersky using a removal tool then see if it works to make sure that kaspersky is not the culprit.
The link below has removal tools including kaspersky.

Here is a link that might be useful: removal tool

o

Finally, my restore issue is SOLVED. I spent countless hours investigating this to no avail. Took it to a technician who found that Dell has their own backup/restore on the same C drive (called PRB) so when I tried to create a restore point, there wasn't enough space because it was trying to restore from 2 places on the same drives (like a mirror), if that makes sense. He disabled the Dell one, and whalla...it now restores as it should. Case closed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here