Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost Outlook contacts -help?

Posted by sherwood38 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 13:11

I got a new computer in March and paid a guy to transfer all my files over to the new computer.
A few days later I realized that my Outlook contacts file did not transfer over and I lost all my contacts, snail mail addresses etc.
This all came to haunt me when it was time to send out Christmas cards!
This new computer does not have Outlook on it-although I do have Hotmail thru Outlook? I do have Word.
I have the saved file of the Outlook contacts, but have no way to open it-any suggestions-short of paying lots of $$'s to buy the new Outlook program?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost Outlook contacts -help?

What format is the old address file in? (those are the three letters to the right of the period in the file name)

Do you still have the old PC?

It should be possible to import the file into an online address book (like Gmail or Yahoo) if it's in a format they can read. Maybe hotmail has it too, I'm not familiar with it

o

The easiest might be to find someone who has Outlook on their system and import your contacts from your backup then print them out.

A shot in the dark:

Absent that you could search the Internet for a means to convert the address backup.pst file. I did a cursory search on Google. In my momentary readings I developed the thought you would have to convert the .pst to a .csv format, and then using the Zamzar website to convert to a docx file.

DA

o

Thanks for the responses!

The file says backup Outlook.pst It was a file copied 2 computers ago and that my daughter had copied to her computer. I now have Windows 7-didn't want to get into W-8! It may have been ME but it did copy over to my last computer which was XP.
The Outlook symbol is on my desktop, but won't open -says I need a disk-which I do not have.

Pat

o

See if this works,

Systools Outlook PST Viewer lets you view PST files without having MS Outlook installed. It will also allow you to open & view password protected .pst files without a password. If Outlook is not installed on your system then getting its licensed version is costlier than using our intelligent tool that helps you to view PST file contents.

Here is a link that might be useful: outlook_pst_viewer

o

In this digital age, an old fashioned address book comes in handy. It's also handy to print a copy when you have the chance. Sorry my suggestions are a bit late.

o

Besides backing up my address book I also take a screenshot and save as a .jpg. Needs 2 screenshots to get them all but nothing too difficult

o

OP, I hope you're able to crack into your information.

As info for others:

If you've been using Outlook features but are moving from a PC with Outlook to one without it, export the information (both calender and contact data) into a file format that can be read by other programs. All the major free email sites (Yahoo, Gmail, likely many others) offer contact and calendar services that your exported Outlook information can be easily uploaded into. Also, other calendar or contact programs also can be populated with data in the non-proprietary, transportable file formats

Owbist, backing up the data is good, but screen captures would mean having to re-input the data in the case of a drive failure. I have exported data files or data in multiple places - two different PCs, a backup drive, my smartphone, and Gmail.

o

Outlook offers a 1-month free trial.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/

o

Thanks once again everyone for all the suggestions.
My daughter is going to copy the file to a CD and send it to me, plus a print out.
I will wait til I get the CD from her before taking advantage of the free offer to try Outlook.
I really hated losing all those snail mail addresses and won't make the mistake again of not having them also in an 'actual' address book!

Pat

o

Glad to hear.

Critical data should always be backed up more than once and on different medias.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here