SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Wireless modem can't find the Mothership!

lpinkmountain
12 years ago

I have an old Compaq laptop that I stopped using when I got my new one. But I want to set it up again in a back bedroom office. It does not have an internal wireless modem, it has an SMC plug in one. I have a cable Internet connection with a wireless router that I got specifically to go with the SMC plug in wireless modem. I used the wireless modem and the wireless router to bring the Internet connection to my old laptop for years. But now I can't get it to work anymore. When I fired the old laptop connections it couldn't find MY connection. Even when I have the laptop sitting on a desk right next to the wireless router, the computer can't find my network. It finds other connections in the neighborhood. The wireless modem appears to be working, at least the little green power dots on it light up. And the wireless router and modem work, I'm using them to send this message on my new laptop. And it all used to work on my old laptop too. How can I trouble shoot this? The wireless router seems to interface with other neighborhood wireless networks, just not mine. And that used to be its mothership! I haven't tried connecting it to one of the other networks since they are mostly secured. And the battery won't hold a charge on the old laptop so it's cumbersome to take on the road to check out somewhere else. I could try it though.

Comments (3)