Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cox mail down in mid west and east coast

Posted by sammy (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 11:18

Does anyone know what happened to cause such a problem? It has been over 24 hours, and the notices say they are working hard.

curious,
Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cox mail down in mid west and east coast

Hmm, put your heading into Google and you'll see a lot of angry folks out there because of this mess.

It does highlight the advisability of having at least one space based email address along with that provided by an internet provider. At least then the world can still be reached.

o

I agree. I do have google also, but have not read the angry complaints, just what cox has been saying. We won't have email for another day. Unfortunately, few people who may want to contact me know my google or yahoo addresses.

They said that their primary and secondary systems failed. (I don't know much about these things, but even I guessed that that could have happened. They are doing their best to restore everything, but it may be tomorrow.

How in the world could the mid west and east coast fail?

Oh, well.
Sammy

o

It's out here also, thanks for that information. I will quit calling the local office here. LOL

I don't have any other email server, but if my sister is worried, she can call.

o

Emma there is nothing to stop you creating an account with Live, Yahoo, Gmail or any other space based folks. Then you can contact your sister with that. Always handy to have that second account.

o

I have had a secondary online account for surfing for years, but found it to be to much trouble. Instead I made one with cox and can dispose of it if necessary. This email breakdown hasn't bothered me at all.

o

Hmmm, I know that there were many digital certificates that were due to expire starting this weekend and into January. I wonder if someone dropped the ball and didn't get their certificates renewed?

o

I have email this AM. Maybe it's up and running every where now.

o

Cox still having problems, no email again today. LOL

o

This isn't a brilliant suggestion, but of course problems like this are avoided by using one of the big independent providers like gmail-hotmail-yahoo mail. That also allows you to change ISPs for better service, better pricing, or when one moves, or to drop having an ISP altogether, without changing your email address.

Those services also tend to offer the best apps for smart phones, which is something that is important to many (but not all) email users.

o

I had more problems with gmail and yahoo than I have ever had with Cox. This kind of thing has never happened before. It is back on now.

o

I use the two you mention pretty heavily and have for many years. I guess my experience has been quite different because I've never an issue. You've had a comparable 3 days of email problems with Yahoo and Gmail?

Cox is a pretty small fish compared to these guys (who have hundreds of millions of users and backup locations around the globe), that's a big enough negative for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here