SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Windows not Genuine displayed at boot

jerry_nj
9 years ago

My Windows 7 currently gets automatic updates, without comment. But, when I boot up the computer I get a dialog screen from "Windows Activation Technologies" which otherwise appears to be Microsoft saying the machine does not have "genuine windows" installed and I should click on the "oh no" link.

I find on one search of the web what appears to legitimize the call to get my computer's W7 (re) registered with MS. Doesn't look or act right to me.

I get in trouble here/lectures on getting a new computer (usually about my W8 machine) or moving to a Mac where software dummies like me don't need so much help.

I do not plan "click" on the bogus-looking banner/dialog as long as I continue to get MS updates. Then if updates stop it seems reasonable to me to contact MS directly, no clicking on "gratis helpful" pop ups on my screen. Hum, don't remember it may be I have to first ask for FIrefox, before the pop up, but it is there in either case.

So, if others are seeing this, here's my confirmation it happens to others. If everyone else knows what to do, then my post is worthless unless someone wants to give constructive advice.

Comments (2)