Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing geotagged photos

Posted by lola99 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 10:34

I recently read a thread on the cooking forum that was about gardenweb connecting with facebook. Some people were concerned about their info being shared with too many people. Specifically, someone commented that every picture that you post is geotagged, so if you have posted pictures in the past, a knowledgeable person can already tell where you took your picture. Is this true? I imagine it depends on what kind of camera you used right?

So my questions are:
1. how can I tell if my pictures are geotagged?
2. I'm sharing them on gardenweb via photobucket. Is there a way to remove the geotag feature?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing geotagged photos

If you take pics with some of the cell phones that have it as a feature.. yep that info is in its EXIF data.

Many photo editing programs will ask if you want to preserve EXIF data after you have edited a photo when you save changes to it. Some save it by default.

Firefox and probably other browsers too, can have exif reader plugins.

Here's one scanner... (I know ziltch about it)

Here is a link that might be useful: Remove GeoTag

o

I posted AbouT this and how to disable it in jasdips thread called oh we are being forced.

And anyone can view the geo location info it shows up when you view the picture details.

o

Sorry that post I was talking about is over on the kitchen table forum.

On my androidphone on each picture click the menu icon then you want the details click that, some give exact longitude and latitude. Iuse an app called quickpic to view pictures on android, with it when I look at details it gives The exact street address and city and state.

Go into your devices settings for the camera and unchech geo location tagging then your pictures Will no longer show location.

o

Thanks for your replies. It's interesting, on my android phone some pictures show the city and state, and some say that the location was unavailable. There is an option for "map" but none of my pictures show an exact location.

I also take pictures with a Sony digital camera from 2008, and I don't think that geo-tags (I checked the manual and couldn't find anything about location), but I'll keep looking.

I will also check out the link you provided. Thanks again for your quick help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here