Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows media player network sharing service

Posted by purpleinopp (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 10:32

If anybody else is losing their mind trying every instruction and disabling every setting they can possible find in control panel (I thought) and services.msc, in the program options, startup folder(S) etc... I spent up to 2 hours on many diff occasions trying to find the right combo of search words to find the yet untried instruction that would finally get this stupid program I don't even use to stop running up to 10 versions of itself every time my computer restarted or was turned on from being off. I wish I could remember every setting I've changed/disabled trying to stop this thing, but none of them worked anyway.

I'd finally given up and was looking for info about the ramifications of just uninstalling it and/or deleting the .exe files that start it, but this finally worked. For the first time since getting this computer over a year ago, I rebooted and there's NO windows media player network sharing services running in the task manager.

At this link, I found this EFFECTIVE INSTRUCTION:
"Open Control Panel and click the link for �Turn Windows features on or off�. In the Windows Features dialog, expand the �Media Features� and deselect �Windows Media Player�."

I'm using:
Windows 7, Windows Media Player 12
Just one computer with no network (AFAIK,) nothing hooked to it, not even a vid camera, no device has ever been sync'ed from this machine, nor ever even hooked up to it in any way except to put the memory card from the camera in the proper slot. I've never once used the sharing service ON PURPOSE and it's said disabled for almost a year, since I first discovered the setting in services.msc.

So it's finally off/stopped! BUT I STILL WONDER and give up for today, searching for an answer to this question: What WAS it doing? Who was it sharing with, what was it sharing? If you have any inkling of a vague notion, I'd love to hear it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows media player network sharing service

"Windows Media Player 11 can share media between different computers on the same network, and can even share media with the XBox 360 as well. For this to work, there’s a network sharing service that shares the library even if Media Player isn’t open. It’s really a great system if you use it."

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-are-wmpnscfgexe-and-wmpnetwkexe-and-why-are-they-running/

o

I'm sure. There is no other computers or game system hooked to this computer, never has been, nothing has ever been hooked to it except to put a memory card in a slot. Not even a printer. With what other entity was it sharing? Sharing what??!

Your link clickable. This page is one of the last instructions I tried before finding something that finally worked.

o

The network sharing service "shares" the library of music in Windows media player with another computer. That's all it shares. How your network sharing service for windows media player was turned in the first place, I'm not sure.

For instance:

My brother has a lot of music in his Windows Media player, so instead of me having to download it to listen, I just listen to it on my computer via the Network sharing service. So it's just 2 computers sharing music, no personal information is shared, just music......

o

Excuse me for not saying thank you for your input above, rude! Sorry, I appreciate it.

Yes, it's quite the mystery, one not answered in hundreds of articles and blogs of desperate people trying to make this thing stop. Consuming so much of their time, by the time they finally accomplished this goal, totally distracted from figuring out what the freak it was doing. I didn't forget, so if anyone offers an answer even years from now if this question is still sitting here, I will love to know. The more I learned about what this thing does, trying to get control of its' actions, the more of a mystery it became. I even deleted all of the music files at one point to see if that would do it. Nope, still sharing something. Tried looking up files by last accessed to see what was being shared but couldn't find what I wanted to know in Win explorer.

I'm not much of a tweaker, just a user, more and more confused by each passing version of Windows... which always seems more and more determined to completely change everything we know how to do every time.

I felt like Roy Scheider at the end of Jaws when I finally rebooted and it was stopped! Once I get back to shore on my scuba tank raft, it will be weeks before the habit of starting every fresh computer session and wake-up from sleep mode with crtl+alt+del to kill all instances of that in the task manager. I'm still not convinced I won't find it running again one of these times. There were subsequent Jaws movies, (quality notwithstanding.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here