SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Windows media player network sharing service

If anybody else is losing their mind trying every instruction and disabling every setting they can possible find in control panel (I thought) and services.msc, in the program options, startup folder(S) etc... I spent up to 2 hours on many diff occasions trying to find the right combo of search words to find the yet untried instruction that would finally get this stupid program I don't even use to stop running up to 10 versions of itself every time my computer restarted or was turned on from being off. I wish I could remember every setting I've changed/disabled trying to stop this thing, but none of them worked anyway.

I'd finally given up and was looking for info about the ramifications of just uninstalling it and/or deleting the .exe files that start it, but this finally worked. For the first time since getting this computer over a year ago, I rebooted and there's NO windows media player network sharing services running in the task manager.

At this link, I found this EFFECTIVE INSTRUCTION:
"Open Control Panel and click the link for �Turn Windows features on or off�. In the Windows Features dialog, expand the �Media Features� and deselect �Windows Media Player�."

I'm using:
Windows 7, Windows Media Player 12
Just one computer with no network (AFAIK,) nothing hooked to it, not even a vid camera, no device has ever been sync'ed from this machine, nor ever even hooked up to it in any way except to put the memory card from the camera in the proper slot. I've never once used the sharing service ON PURPOSE and it's said disabled for almost a year, since I first discovered the setting in services.msc.

So it's finally off/stopped! BUT I STILL WONDER and give up for today, searching for an answer to this question: What WAS it doing? Who was it sharing with, what was it sharing? If you have any inkling of a vague notion, I'd love to hear it!

Comments (4)