Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to start?

Posted by vannie (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 14, 11 at 9:19

I got such good advice on my last question, I now have another. I have an elderly friend who has no computer skills. What is the best way for him to learn? I mean, he needs to start at the beginning--this is a mouse, this is a monitor, etc. He has typing skills he has used for years, so there will be no hunting and pecking. "Computers for Dummies"? any web site? What's your advice here. I don't have enough skills to be much help to him.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to start?

I did a quick Google search for free online tutorials to learn computer basics. I skimmed through a few and thought this one taught using the mouse very well:

http://tech.tln.lib.mi.us/tutor/

The lessons at the next link are geared to the computer's operating system: XP or Windows 7 (and Vista). Check them out for yourself. Hope they help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Tutorials for Beginners

o

First I googled: how old is elderly
Lotta hits - most of em tickt me off-if you are over 50 you'll understand.....

2nd I googled: how to teach an elderly person to use a computer
Lotta hits - some recommended programs/methods

Abreeze: looks like we were in synch.

o

To get comfortable with the mouse have him play a few games. Make sure the Games folder is loaded with his Windows, click Start, click All programs, click Games.

Then have him play solitaire and perhaps minesweeper BUT have him read the rules so he can get to understand single click, double click and right click.

After that teach him how to Google for anything he wants to know, easier than trying to find it in an out of date book in my estimation.

o

Another thought - my mother, 84 1/2, has been using a computer about 10 years now, although somewhat limited use -

In her city, there are basic classes at the Senior Center, occasionally through her YMCA, and also adult continuing education classes at her community college where fees to seniors are minimal expense.

o

Along the lines of M8 and senior centers: libraries, fraternal organizations, religious centers, school district adult continuing education,store public bulletin boards, etc.

If a member of AARP you could contact them for guidance and/or referral.

DA

o

Absolutely agree. The lessons given by senior centers and libraries are the best way to start. I have found people learn better when they have someone supervise to avoid frustration and fear. Many older people are terribly afraid they will 'break' the computer or cause some sort of damage to it.

Jane

o

The local library is a good starting point...in my town they offer beginning computer classes for Seniors. The local community college is another good place for a Senior to learn computer skills.

o

there are also online sources for tutorials and forums just for that but then he would have to at least be able to navigate the pc enough to get to those sites.

Classes are a very good choice, I do some little classes for some of the elderly here, I was asked to help some of the churches for their senior groups. The main issue with that is you would not be using your own pc and of course every pc is a bit different.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here