Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Computer not coming on

Posted by berk (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 9:18

This has happened twice this week. I turn my computer on and all I get is a blue screen. Then iI turn the tower off, which doesn't want to turn off, then when I turn it back on all is ok. I have windows 7 and an HP computer that is only about 2 yrs. old. I keep it very cleaned out and never download games, etc.
I have Windows security on it too. I know I have enough space on it yet too. Any thoughts will be apprecieated. TY.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Computer not coming on

What is "Windows security"? Have you updated and ran a full scan to eliminate that as an issue?

Check that the power plug is firmly in the wall and in the back of the computer and neither are loose.
Is there any writing on the blue screen?
Does the blue screen appear after the black screen showing a splash screen or writing?
Do you hear the single beep as the computer passes the BIOS test?
Does the activity light blink on and off during the start up sequence that fails to complete?
If you have no power on/off switch beside the power inlet at the back of the computer you can hold the start button down for a full 4 seconds to switch off the machine.

o

try going to control panel > administrative tools> event viewer and look at the logs there if you see any with red or yellow flags click them to find out more info and what caused the conflict. You may be able to see what is triggering the event. They will have event codes which you can look up on google.

o

I went to the control panal and didn't find anything that said Adm. tools.
I just turned on my computer and when I came back all I had was a blue screen, no words or anything just the blue screen. It has worked fine the rest of the day.

o

So when you start the computer tomorrow, assuming you shut down each night, stay with it, watch and listen so you can answer my other questions.

Regarding Ravens idea click Start and instantly type event viewer and above you will see 'View event logs' click that to go to the same place. Allow the program to populate the screen, it takes time.

o

I went to the event log and it told me:
Level Critical... Event ID 41..Task Catagory (63)...Kernal Power ( source)
Means nothing to me.

o

"Means nothing to me."

Exactly! Why do you suppose raven wrote They will have event codes which you can look up on google.

o

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

That's what the error means, sounds like the computer is shutting down, you mentioned "Blue Screen" is any information on the Blue screen?

o

I did look on Google for an answer and only found more wanting to know what it meant. Anyhow I took my tower apart and cleaned it and then turned it on and it came right on, but it wasn't very dusty at all. So maybe it will work ok now, who knows???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here