SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Buying new laptop Q's

dee_can1
9 years ago

It's time for me to upgrade to a new laptop. My old one is over 6-years old, Vista OS, and it's been just chugging along lately. Definitely having problems when I use IE, and I'm noticing the same type of problems with FF, too.

My plan is to wait until the next new Windows OS comes out - will that be Windows 9? Is it a good idea to wait, or should I just get a new one now, with 8.1, and then upgrade?

My other question is about ethernet ports. I was surprised to see, while searching for information about laptop brands, that ethernet ports are hard to come by in laptops now. For personal reasons, I stopped using wireless, and I'm now 'hard-wired'. If I buy a laptop without an ethernet port, can I still hard-wire it using (what I think is called) a USB LAN adapter?

Oh, one more question. I currently have a Toshiba Satellite, which I've been pretty happy with, except for an occasional minor over-heating issue. I'm thinking about maybe getting a Dell laptop this time around... not sure, though. I'd appreciate some brand recommendations, too.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Comments (9)