SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Power-up problem, sign of pending doom?

jerry_nj
10 years ago

The subject computer is less than a year old (not a Christmas present) and is a Gateeway NE718 Series Laptop 17" screen with Windows 8.

The normal power-up sequence is a fast display of the MS default wallpaper which is followed by the password log in.

Last night after the notebook had been off and on (yes complete power down as I normally run it on battery power, yes on my lap) I picked it up and observed it wasn't clear what state the machine was in - I sometimes in a hurry just close the lid, put the machine in a sleep state. A tap on the power-switch didn't bring up the MS Wallpaper, in fact the screen remained blank. I suspected low battery.

After several attempts to power-up with forced power down the machine continued to display a blank screen, the HDD LED did flass in a normal llooking fashion.

So I removed the battery for a few seconds and then reinstalled the battery. The machine then powered-up/booted normally and the battery guage showed the batter was nearly fully charged.

So, what ends well.... but I wonder, is this a sign of impending disaster? I did a bettery removal because I recalled doing something like that before on a different machine to recover it from some power-up problem.

Hope all had a Merry Christmas and are looking forward to a Happy New Year. I have benefited from expert help here many times in 2013 and send my thanks to all who "nailed" the problem and to others who simply shared ideas that led to a solution/decision - I am yet to ever have to "call" for a tech or take my machine into to one.

Comments (3)