Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 7:56

I am unable to update windows.
Aspire Netbook, about 3 yo
Windows 7 Starter
Has not been used/updated in about 8 months

When I run Windows Update the process fails with the message:
"..can't check for update as the service is not running.."

The above is not an exact quote.

The failure message also guesses the problem might be resolved by rebooting. That does not fix the problem.

Seems I should know how to get the Win UD service running, but I haven't a clue.

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Win Update cus service not running

Did you try Microsoft Fix It?

DA

o

Thanks, MS Fix It ?? well there's my answer. Is this a utility in the W7 Starter OS? I am not on that computer at the moment, and I can search for it, but it is a new one on me, who is mostly a user, not a fixer of windows... just self defense here.

I just updated Avira, 101 Megabytes, wow for a anti-virus software application. Windows Office may be smaller than that, it used to be for sure. Makes one wonder how much resource, other than storage, the new anti-virus uses...subject of other threads no doubt.

o
MS Fixit not, RE: No Win Update cus service not running

Thanks, I went to Microsoft Support and found a path to Fixit. I ran Fixit three times, each time it found errors in the update and claimed to have fixed them, there were two errors on the first run, one on each of the second and third tries. The update error continues, it shows "service not running" and does not have an error code, or I've overlooked it.

o

Can you post this,

Please download MiniToolBox http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/MiniToolBox.exe and run it. see link below

Checkmark following boxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log

Click Go and post the result.

Click the toolbox link, a window pops up, save the file to the desktop, then run it an post the result.

Here is a link that might be useful: tool box

o

Some Malware disable it ,update malwarebytes and run full scan just incase

o

Thanks I'll start the scan, I have an update (of today) on the Netbook of the Free Antivar. Is there any other free software that is worth running? I have used Spybot and Advanced System care, and Malwarebytes (I think it is) of course I have MS Windows Defender.

Again the problem is on a 7-Starter netbook.

When get more time today I'll also try the recommendations from ZEP516, assuming I am capable enough with posting results. Is there such a feature here on GardenWebComputer?

o

When get more time today I'll also try the recommendations from ZEP516, assuming I am capable enough with posting results. Is there such a feature here on GardenWebComputer?

Just copy and paste and you should be good to go Jerry.

o

Copy and paste, that's so easy I should be able to do it :)

I set Avira and Defender off to do "Deep scans" about a hour ago, they are both still working. Hope running them in parallel doesn't make for an argument : (

I had to look for Windows Defender, it too had been shut down,and it seems it wants to stay that way, i.e., not have an icon on my desktop. Windows Defender and Avira have been able to update, it is just Windows Update that is in trouble. I run both Windows Defender and Avira Free on a Windows 7 64 bit, and they seem to get along okay there.

o

I said malwarebytes which is a malware scanner not the same as the antivirus. And no you should never run more than one scan at a time can cause complications and problems.

If you need malwarebytes let us know.

o

Mission accomplished: Windows downloaded 66 changes 209 MB this morning - maybe during the night, and I turned on Install, which took at least 30 minutes, and was successful.

So, what was done?
1) I went to auto update with install manual a couple of days ago. That resulted in Windows Update recognizing the need to update but it was unable to download.
2) Ran deep scan Windows Defender and Avira (in parallel) and that took many hours..it had completed this morning and neither indicated any problems, with Avira listing 1 "warning" only.
3) Ran Windows Update and it indicated 66 @ 209 MB
I clicked on install and the progress window reported "download" which lasted too short a time to download 209 MB at my DSL speed, the progress then indicated installing step-by-step and completed after about 30 minutes. During the early steps in the install I took note of my WiFi bit counter and noted only administrative communications indicating auto update had downloaded the updates during the night. I guess that's how update works when the manual approval is set.

Ravencajun, sorry about Malwarbytes I recall reading your recommendation and, unfortunately, as I didn't have Malwarebytes on that netbook I translated to running what was installed: Avira and Defender..seems that help or fixed the problem I will get a copy of Malwarbytes on that machine, assume it is easy to find and download.

Question on Windows Defender: I have had the WD Icon on my desktop, in fact all my desktops (XP, 7, and 7 Starter) but I am unable to place it here. The netbook in fact didn't have it on the desktop, but it had a copy, and I am able to copy the Icon to the tool bar (bottom) but not to the desktop, strange to my mind. Is defender running from startup? or is it a passive program that has to be ran manually?

Thanks for the help, as it now stands the Netbook is up-to-date on 7 Starter.

o

Here is download link for malwarebytes use the blue download button

Here is a link that might be useful: Malwarebytes

o

Ravencajun,

Thanks I have now run a deep scan with Malwarebytes on the Netbook and on an XP Gateway Notebook. No malware was found, and the subject notebook continues to operate with MS Update, albeit now with it set to automatically seek updates, with my approval for installation.

I had changed the Netbook to automatic update check before starting this thread, so I conclude that has nothing to do with the fix result.

o

From what I've read windows defender in win7 runs a scheduled scan ..once weekly probably. Its not real time protection.

o

Thanks, just checked. My W7 was set to run once a day at 2:00 AM, but my computer is normally turned off before midnight. I changed it to run at 8:00 PM.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here