Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
compatability view?

Posted by yabber (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 5, 10 at 4:36

My gmail account says :It looks like you have enabled Internet Explorer Compatibility View. Gmail works best if you turn this off".

So I've checked if this is true (tools-comp view settings), but the compatability view is not enabled?

I've also noticed that the weathertracker that we have on our computer (downloaded fron weatherzone.com.au is not working anymore, it says it can't find my location so therefore I get no forecast?)

Are these two things linked? Is there anything else going on that I could look into?

I'm worried because the same things have happened at my work computer this last Friday, yet my colleagues still have their weathertracker working.

Any advice appreciated :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: compatability view?

I find it odd both computers are affected by the same thing, from that description it would seem to point to some up-date issue. The Google issue appears to related to IE 8. I have no idea what's going on with the weather issue, to me they seem like separate issues.

These are the only instructions I can find others appear to be having the issue as well.

Go to the "Tools" menu of your IE browser and from the drop-down menu select "Compatibility View Settings." In there, you will see a check-box labeled "Include updated website lists from Microsoft." Uncheck it i.e. make sure there is no tick/mark in the box. The link below is where the information above is from.

http://www.google.co.jp/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=506bdec155833869&hl=en

As far as the weather thing all I could suggest is to reinstall it and go through the set up process again.

o

Thanks Zep for your help! I've unticked the box and my gmail opened fine.

As for the weather tracker; now my colleagues have the same problem so maybe it's an update issue, as you suggested. Uninstalling and re-installing didn't fix it, so I'll just leave it for now.

One thing I did notice when I uninstalled it is that it didn't remove all components, even thouh it says it will? There was still a folder in C:Program Files. How come that didn't get uninstalled?

o

Because it's a weak uninstall program like so many. You can always right click the folder and delete it, in some cases for stubborn folders like that it can be necessary to boot into safe mode and delete it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here