Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Am Not A Geek .. (And I can Prove It!)

Posted by justme4now (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 23:34

Your probably reading this because of the subject line!
C'mon .. admit it! 8)

Well here goes: It did me absolutely no good to upgrade my system to FIOS.
Why, you may ask?

Well, it's because I haven't been able to connect the modem to the pc by ethernet cable since day one!

I am actually running this pc .. using a usb adapter, sitting not three feet away from the actiontec FIOS router!

Here's the dumb question: Is the intel 82566dc-2 gigabit network connection that you see in the device manager .. a part of the pc ethernet port connector?

(What you plug the cable into)

I ask because I can't connect with the ethernet cable and can only use the usb dongle.

The intel 82566dc-2 gigabit network connection shows a problem in DM (yellow yield sign).

I have disabled the thing.
Deleted and re-installed the drivers .. Everything and nothing works!

So now I need to know .. are the two things mentioned above related and if so .. should I just replace the card?

Thanks Everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Am Not A Geek .. (And I can Prove It!)

82566dc-2 gigabit network

That's called the network adapter, that's associated with the card yes, can you right click on it, choose uninstall, reboot the computer.

Didn't the FIOS techs make sure everything was working before they left?

o

Where did you get the gigabit driver from ?
You might want to read this page,, and maybe try the generic driver set.

Might want to make sure you have a working network cable too if after the generic driver you have non working ethernet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Intel Generic driver

o

I would call Verizon and demand that they send someone who can get you set up like they should have done.

o

Thank You Everyone.

It really wasn't the techs fault.
He tried his best but I later discovered that yellow sign next to the 82566dc-2 gigabit network connection and realized that was probably the problem.

I have tried the uninstall/reinstall trick.

I have downloaded the 'correct' updated 64bit drivers from intel and guess what .. The driver will not update!?

(Device manager can't install it from my folders and intel's autorun wont work either)

Tried it both ways.
Keeps going back to the driver from '2007'!!

If I can figure out a decent replacement (meaning cheap 8)
for the card (If it is a card and not integrated) I feel that my best bet is to get a new card.

I have read that even if the pc card is integrated, you can still install a separate stand alone card.

(Yes the cable is brand new.)

o

Yes. It basically just slides into a slot, may be a couple of screws to tighten. They are not expensive. Lots of you tube instructions to view.

o

Raven

I may have found an easier fix.

Here is a link that might be useful: usb-to-ethernet-adapter

o

FWIW;
think Usb 2.0 is supposed to be 35mb/s actual best speed.
Regular network adapters will probably talk faster to your fios, but 35 is fast !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here