Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help downloading Microsoft Security Essentials

Posted by ten3_2tex (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 23:11

Been here before and have always been helped. I need help again. I had MSE on my Windows XP and was very happy with it. I now have a windows7, it came with Norton and it has one more day to go. I do not want to renew so I went to download MSE, when asked for version selection, Windows7 is not a choice. How do I install it, or is it not available for W7 version? Thanks, HHH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help downloading Microsoft Security Essentials

download link here
Microsoft Security Essentials
as stated it is for 7.

you must fully remove Norton prior to install of MSE, use this program to do that.
AppRemover
after that is fully removed you can then do the install of MSE.

o

Thanks, ravencajun, I'm gonna go try it now. I am thinking that using AppRemover means I don't use Control Panel at all. Guess I will find out. Many thanks again, HHH

o

Ok, I uninstalled Norton and went to that site ravencajun said. I am not addressing her/him cause maybe he/she is already asleep. So someone, tell me why I could not do it because it said I was trying to download to a 32 "whatever" and I needed to download to the right 64 version.........what, where to now? HHH

o

MSE 7 64

Here is a link that might be useful: MSE 7 64

o

Which version of Windows 7 is on your computer? To find out if your computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version, do the following:

1. Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2. Under System, you can view the system type.

Then download the appropriate version of MSE.

o

when using app remover you do not worry about going to control panel add remove just use app remover it works great just used it recently on one I was working on.

o

DONE, Thanks to ALL. Now another ?. That download box that comes up on the left upper corner. The one where one chooses to run the download. I have 2 Security downloads. the one for 32 that did not work and the one that did. Also when downloading the removal, I did not know what I was doing and now have it twice. To remove unwanted ones do I click on the bottom of box where it says to clear? or do I have to go somewhere else to remove them? AND thanks again, I hope I remember all I did cause my sister wants to do same. SHE ASK ME??? LOL

o

Click on the bottom of box where it says to clear. You're done.

o

Thanks, zep

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here