Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thunderbird-Missing e-mail

Posted by bugsybanks (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 22:48

I recently installed Thunderbird as my e-mail program. When I opened the program this morning, all the messages that were in my Inbox are gone. I have checked all the folders...nothing.

I've tried to read through some of the support suggestions, including drilling down to the folder where the e-mails are stored for Thunderbird. I can see that there is a file marked Inbox that has 2529 KB, so I'm assuming the missing messages are there. I don't know how to open the file or how to restore the messages. And why would the program keep removing the messages from my inbox? I've checked my settings and have removed the check mark from the option to archive in case that was the problem. I'm just learning the program so I'm not sure what to check next.

Could someone please help? I probably haven't explained this very well, so please let me know how I can provide more information.

Thank you for any help.

Bugsy

Internet Explorer 9
Windows 7

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thunderbird-Missing e-mail

I would first ask...where did you download it from? If you got Thunderbird from any site other than the one I have listed below, it's possible that you also got something you didn't bargain for. Some third-party sites are trustworthy, others are not. If you did not get TB directly from Mozilla, I would get rid of what you have and start over with a fresh install. I've had TB for several years. I've never changed any of the default settings and I've never experienced the problem you describe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thunderbird

o

Whew! You scared me there. The web site in your link is the one I used, thankfully. I'm pretty cautious about that kind of thing.

I really like the program and would like to keep it. Do you think I should just uninstall it and try again? The support page for missing e-mails has SO many things that might be causing the problem that it's a little bit daunting.

Thank you for getting back to me.

o

Whew! You scared me there. The web site in your link is the one I used, thankfully. I'm pretty cautious about that kind of thing.

I really like the program and would like to keep it. Do you think I should just uninstall it and try again? The support page for missing e-mails has SO many things that might be causing the problem that it's a little bit daunting.

Thank you for getting back to me.

o

I'm sorry for the double post. I'm not sure why that happened. I refreshed the page and there it was :-(

o
RE: Thunderbird-Missing e-mail-RESOLVED

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I figured out what the problem was.

I had downloaded Thunderbird because I don't like windows Live Mail....but I still had it on my computer. Live Mail was no longer the default mail program. Everytime I'd open it to check something in one of my folders, it downloaded mail....and made that same mail disappear from the Thunderbird Inbox.

Hope that might help someone else with the same issue. I should have thought of that earlier.

Enjoy your weekend!

o

I've never had 2 email clients on my computer at the same time. Still, I'm not sure I understand how WLM could remove from TB messages that TB had already downloaded. I could see how WLM might download duplicate messages if TB was set to leave the message on the mail server. If WLM did actually do what you say...sounds scary.

o

It IS a very strange situation, indeed. And here's some more weirdness. None of the e-mails stay on the server...I double checked and everything was downloaded, per the settings.

When I first started looking for a prog to replace WLM, I started using Outlook....but the e-mails were disappearing from the Inbox. I thought it was a problem with Outlook and even posted a query here on the forum. Never solved that issue, but disliking WLM more as time went on, I gave up on Outlook and thought I'd try Thunderbird. Then the same thing started happening! I had made TB the default and set WLM to NOT check automatically for mail....BUT...when I would open WLM to look at something in a folder there, it would check for mail on Startup and all my e-mails would show up. That's when all the messages in TB would disappear. When I realized this was happening, I opened Outlook, sent some test messages there and watched as they disappeared before my eyes when I opened WLM. Do you think maybe I'm incorrect about the mail staying on the server? Wouldn't I see it there when I go online to check?

o

If you plan to continue with TB, I think you will end up having to uninstall WLM...and you will need to research that to make sure it's done correctly and completely. Perhaps you could create a junk email address (Yahoo or Gmail is good for this), and forward anything in WLM that you need to save there and then forward them back to TB after you get rid of WLM.

o

Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks so much for your time and your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here