Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make one paragraph out of several sentences in Word 2003

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 22:44

Sometimes when I copy something off the web instead of it being in one paragraph or more, it is in a series of lines some being short some longer. There is no "wrapping" I guess you call it.

I can fix this problem at work by hitting two buttons but those two buttons don't work at home.

I know there is a way to do this but I've just searched again and don't find the answer.

Thanks,
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make one paragraph out of several sentences in Word 20

I just remembered I posted this question a while back. I just searched for it and found it. I tried the suggestions given and I still can't make it work.

I'm going to assume there is no easy way to do this and try to live with it. As I said in my original post in August 2010 I find it amazing that at work it's a simple two key process and here it's complicated and doesn't work for me.

Thanks
Ginny

o

When you copy like that, and it ends up weird like you describe, it means you have unavoidably copied over some formatting/codes. I usually find it simplest to copy it, paste it into Word, and then just move my cursor around to the weird formatting locations and backspace to remove everything between a pair of separated words, and then reinsert a space. It's not too hard unless you have pages of text.

Alternatively, you could try copying it into Notepad first, and then to Word, and see if that fixes the problem. Here is a description of how this works from a Wikipedia article:

"Notepad accepts text from the Windows clipboard. When clipboard data with multiple formats is pasted into Notepad, the program will only accept text in the CF_TEXT format. This is useful for stripping embedded font type and style codes from formatted text, such as when copying text from a web page and pasting into an email message or other WYSIWYG text editor. The formatted text is temporarily pasted into Notepad, and then immediately copied again in stripped format to be pasted into the other program."

o

Also ------ After performing the copy step, open Word.
Click Edit, Paste Special, then select Unformatted Unicode Text.

o

Word will recognize embedded code and formatting when you copy from a web page. Word click Edit : Paste As and then choose "unformated text". It also useful for stripping out formatting when you're pasting from another document.

o

I can't wait to try those ideas but off to work now.

Thank you so much for your help with this even though as I mentioned I've already asked for and received ideas a year ago. Hopefully this time something will work as I copy and paste a lot of stuff of the web.

Ginny

o

Ginny thanks for posting the question. I don't need it often, but will know what to try now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here