Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curious--what is going on with my computer

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 22:39

I have XP homebuilt computer and up to about a week ago, have had very little problems. I ran PC matic and that is when the trouble started. DH had bought the program 2 years ago and both of us have used it without a problem. But this time it ate something and with the help of a friend hubby got it corrected and up running again. But NOW, several times when I am in a good safe site, I am getting warnings from AVAST about virus and trojan problems. It even blocked a CNBC site that a friend sent.
Any ideas. It even came up on this site.
Thanks so much
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curious--what is going on with my computer

Sounds like something is wrong with a Avast to me. Is it updated.

o

Might want to download / update / run a full scan, with www.superantispyware.com free version. Update and a FULL scan with your Anti-Virus program too.

o

Those are the lines I am thinking also. Will do it tomarrow
Marie

o

I agree sounds like you have an infection.
I would also recommend doing an updated malwarebytes free scan.

I would NOT use that program again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Malwarebytes

o
RE: Curious//--what is going on with my computer

I did run a complete scan with AVAST and found 2 infected problems and tried to do exactly what they told me to do. Part of it worked, part did not so I had to exit. I still get a message when I went to a established email, so now will run Malwarebytes a full scan. If that does not work will keep track of what I a receiving from AVAST and contact them as this is the paid version, not the free one. I may have to have it unistalled and restall it.
Will let you know.
Thanks
Marie

o

Post back with what malwarebytes finds, once you have done the scan you can open the program click on the logs tab and copy and paste the results here.

o

Post back with what malwarebytes finds, once you have done the scan you can open the program click on the logs tab and copy and paste the results here.

o

Raven, curious, when I clicked on what you suggested i got the following: bleeping computer.com then it went to Reimage PC Repair? Is this a new/newer program than malwarebyes which I already have????
Thanks
Marie

o

Raven, curious, when I clicked on what you suggested i got the following: bleeping computer.com then it went to Reimage PC Repair? Is this a new/newer program than malwarebyes which I already have????
Thanks
Marie

o

If you already have malwarebytes, then just update it and run a quick scan. No need to download anything.

o

I have no idea where you saw that, on the link I provided I go directly to the download page for malwarebytes.

But sure if you already have malwarebytes no need to do that just hit the update button and scan.

I wonder if the infection is redirecting you and that's how you got that link.

o

I did run malwarebytes, the quick scan and found nothing. Will have to do the longer one later and will try AVAST again. That is why I asked before I did it. Maybe the snow froze something (just kidding)
Thanks
Marie

o

Raven, you might want to click the link you provided for Marie. It goes to the download site and a bar appears across the top requiring one to click to allow (in FF). Instantly you are transferred to another page advertising/offering other programs while presumably the download should commence. For me it did not start the download on 2 attempts.

I had noticed this before with the new bleepingcomputer page.

o

I had tried the link but I was using my phone which displays the page differently. Well that is bad news if even bleeping computer download pages are not trustworthy.

o
RE: Curious--what is going on with my computer//need add inf.

AVAST contacted me with what to do BUT---they also told me to disable System Restore first, but when I started to do so got some additional warnings that could be dangerous. I have XP. Can I disable this, then as per AVAST do a "boot-time" scan?
Thanks so much
Marie

o

The warning you received is just to let you know that you are wiping out all present restore points. When you disable System Restore, you start all over again with restore points. I would go ahead and carefully, one step at a time, follow the directions AVAST sent you.

o

On the support forums we never have restore points cleared till the very last step when we know that the clean up is complete, because once you clear those restore points you have no way to go back. And we have found in many cases it is better to at least have available restore points even if they are infected than none at all. Then once all cleaning steps are done and the pc is clean the final step is clean up the restore points and create a new one that we know is clean.

I think you should go to LzD forum and have the team help you out with this problem.

Register there start your own thread telling what has happened, and ask them to help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: LzD

o
RE: Curious--//what is going on with my computer

Well, before I got your messages, did exactly what AVAST suggested and all seemed to go well. Went back to enable system restore, ok. BUT, just as I did, got another message that a trojan horse was detected (same message), so now I don't know. Yes I did sign up on landzdown forum and am waiting for activation etc. Also will try to contact AVAST again (maybe) if this pops up again. This really is a learning thing and I do appreciate all the help here.
Marie

o

Does Avast give the name of the Trojan horse and it's file location / path....

o

Sorry I see your getting help at ldz

o

With Firefox 16.0.2, regardless of whether I click the "arrow" or the box with "Download now @BleepingComputer" from the link RavenCajun provided, I get the direct download link for Malwarebytes.

At the same page with IE9, the SmartScreen filter pops up asking if I want to run or save Malwarebytes. Since IE9 doesn't have the same ad-block as FF, I do see "Sponsored Products" on that page with several programs shown for download. However, it is the SmartScreen filter that takes precedence.

Unfortunately Grinler's wallet is not a bottomless pit and the hosting cost for BleepingComputer is considerable.

o

Corrine they fixed it right away, the day we were discussing it I did go with firefox and right up at the top a banner opened which was one that looked like it could be the download for malwarebytes. I know the actual download button is the blue one but for some it could have been confusing.(And I do have adblock plus and easylist)
But I have to say it was not there long, it was not there when I originally posted the link but shortly after apparently it appeared, I was able to see it only once then it was completely gone.

I know the bleepingcomputer team would not willingly want that kind of confusion and they apparently took care of it.
Bleeping computer is so huge I know it has to be a big cost and also a lot of work to make sure everything is as it should be!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here