Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this update?

Posted by grandms (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 22:33

Did my MS updates today, but one did not install. Now the shield says I need to download it and install. It is MS.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 (KB 2698023). I should have had this ages ago since I have XP SP3 and have had for years, it seems. Would you advise that I just refuse this one? I have no idea why it would be popping up now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this update?

Here's what I know,

MS12-074: Description of the security update for the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 for Itanium Systems, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008: November 13, 2012

Here is a link that might be useful: See here

o

Date published:

8/17/2012

I'd download it and install it. .NET service pack numbers really doesnt have anything to do with a XP service pack number like you are thinking.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26

o
RE: What is this update? ah!

So this is not an old update, but one just issued? If that's the case, I'll have to try downloading it again. It's 15MB and seemed to take forever to download. Now I'm being instructed to download it again. Will wait until tomorrow now and maybe it will go okay then.

o

Here is the actual download site. Perhaps the info offered on this site will help you make your decision. Personally, if it were me and I was still using XP SP3, I'd take it but I tend to operate on the cautious side with my system and if MS offers a fix for a potential problem, I take it.

HTH

Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: KB2698023

o

Thanks, Mikie. After I re-read, I realized that this had nothing to do with the XP service pack. I downloaded the three updates that had to do with .Net Framework after I had downloaded and installed other updates and rebooted. For some reason, these seemed to take forever to download. At any rate two of the three installed, but this one did not. It failed twice last evening, and again this morning I tried and it failed to install several more times. Anne, I went to the download site and downloaded it again. It did not give an option to Run, only to Save, so I saved it to the desktop then tried to run. I got this message: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." Of course, the shield is still in the notification area. I clicked on it and tried again to install, to no avail. By the way, this morning I tried using the MS Fixit, which indicated a problem with the install feature. It supposedly fixed this, but this update still will not install. Is there some way the download I did last night can be removed so that I can do a fresh download and see if that will install? I hate having to call MS about this, but I guess I may have to bite the bullet and do so. Thanks for any other suggestions.

o
RE: What is this update? my update

This is really weird! In searching for help with this problem, I found that many are having the same "non-installation" problem. One solution suggested removing .NET Framework 1.1, so I did this using Revo Uninstaller in Advanced mode. Lots and lots of registry entries. Okay, this stopped Updates from bugging me about the SP1 for this. However, next popped up four .NET Framework 4 updates, dated 2011. I downloaded and installed one of them, started downloading another, and the Shield disappeared from my tray. I went to MS Updates via Start and lo and behold, I am being told that there are no critical or important updates for my computer. Now we'll see what tomorrow brings.

o

The dot net framework packages are really large. When you look in add/remove programs (showing updates) do you see any other, possibly later dot net framework entries ? If you do, and I'm not sure how that could be possible since they typically install an update on the previous platform, just uninstall any .NET framework 2, 3 or 4 entries...restart Windows and then install version 1.1. followed by the other entries as needed.

o

I personally don't worry about these, I follow the lead of Susan Bradley who does the patch list every month. She tells which are causing problems which ones to wait a while for and which to skip.
I would block the update, maybe try later, but not worry about it. Especially since it is a. net update.

o

Since it no longer shows up in the important updates, I will not worry about it any longer. I noticed that the one I deleted now shows up among "optional" updates.

Yes, Pam, these are large updates. I had several for my Windows 7 laptop, and all the updates for that computer were over 100MB!

o

Bobbie,

I have had a concern with Net updates' failures in the past. To remedy the situation I began installing them individually and chronologically by assigned KB number beginning with the lowest first. I have not had a concern since.

Also, if you are not going to install the brat update you can hide it so it doesn't pester you.

DA

o

DA, yes, that is what I have been doing also---one at a time and in sequence with a reboot after each, except that this time I tried doing the three .NET ones all at once. I guess this was a mistake. But all seems well, and this is on my older desktop, so I will not worry about it. I may eventually just use this comp for storage and for using certain programs and not even use it to go online. Well, that "eventually" may be after I die. :-)

o

.Net framework packages are usually support structure for specific applications...at work we use them for some manufacturing apps. I don't think that they are all that important for basic Windows usage.

o

Microsoft ProcessExplorer if run as administrator will highlight running executables that are using .net in yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful: ProcessExplorer

o

Thanks, Mikie. I may find I don't need any of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here