Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost Email Folders

Posted by woodsy1 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 21:10

DH wiped everything off of my old iPhone3GS because I replaced it. In the process some of my email (ATT Yahoo) folders disappeared. Any ideas as to how I can get them back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost Email Folders

I found a way to request that Yahoo restore the missing folders and their messages. Sorry if I panicked a bit, but I realize time is of the essence in such matters and I can't imagine how I would ever retrieve the work related stuff. The help on Yahoo the mail page is worthless!

Thanks for looking!

o

Usually deleting a mail app from a phone does nothing to the version accessible from a website.

Anything you have, that the loss of would be a problem, should be backed up. Unexpected, unlikely, unplanned for events happen daily.

o

"Usually" would be the key word here. It seems there was a glitch in the process. Only some of the folders were lost. DH never touched them, nor did he delete any of the messages in them. He only deleted inbox messages that had been uploaded to the phone. I have pasted the reply I received from Yahoo:

Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Mail.
I understand that you want to recover the lost emails that were accidentally deleted on your POP/IMAP client. I apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you. Let me provide you more information regarding your concern. Please read on.
According to our records, it appears a POP or IMAP client may have deleted your messages. A POP Client is an application such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, while an IMAP client is a mobile device such as a BlackBerry, or iPhone.
Emails deleted by a POP client are now moved to the Trash folder on the server. As long as the emails were deleted recently, you should be able to access your Yahoo! Mail account from a web browser and recover the messages from the Trash.
You can configure your POP client to leave messages on the Yahoo! Mail server or to delete them from the server. Check the instructions for configuring POP settings for your mail client by reading this article:
http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_SG&y=PROD_MAIL&page=content&id=SLN3255
Once messages have been deleted by a IMAP client, it's removed from your Yahoo! Mail account. Messages deleted by a IMAP mail client aren't recoverable.
If your mobile device continues to delete emails from your account, I recommend contacting the vendor of the device or your mobile carrier for further assistance.
Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Mail.

I guess I'm screwed and have learned a big lesson. All of my other files back up nightly, and I burn all client communication folders weekly. I never dreamed I would lose what was stored on Yahoo's server.

I posted this because it may help someone later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here