Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Monitor Stand

Posted by chrishodg (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 20:12

Hello,
I want to build my own monitor stand (floor pole; not wall mount) for a 23" touch screen monitor (19 lbs.) for a All In One PC.
My challenge is that I want the stand to swivel/fold out from a collapsed position to over my lap while I sit in my recliner.

So instead of a laptop on my lap I want the wireless keyboard in my lap and the monitor on a stand at eye-level over my legs. It is a 23" touch screen using Windows 8.

I've searched for joints - swivel, ball, bolt/wing nut, articulating arms etc. but really haven't found anything.

Does anyone have any design ideas? Or a source of joint parts?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Monitor Stand

Search using these key words DIY Monitor Stand

o

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I searched but didn't find anything; gave me many results with anything but "DIY Monitor Stand"!

What I found before I posted was desk mounts; mine is a floor pole mount that swings out over my recliner; not a desk.

Haven't even found anything even close to that; perhaps you could search for me since you know the web site.

Thanks again!

o

I saw what you probably want somewhere made for laptops. Think most likely it was OfficeDepot. Convenient for me is OfficeDepot, Staples, BestBuy. But office depot is the best place to be ignored and easiest to buy something.

You would probably need to adapt it for the remote monitor. Basicly it had two different ways to order for the base of it. The base I wanted was a weighted base that was designed to roll under the sofa or side of chair. It had a fold down, swing out, twist any direction, tension spring loaded lockable articulated arm with a shelf for the laptop.

fwiw...
My old desktop computer, I just took a piece of paneling and covered it with formica and made it perfect size for my keyboard and a mouse pad.. It was my lapDesk... works fine.

o

When my wife read these posts her eyes rolled back and as she collapsed lifelessly to the floor I faintly heard something about not this house dead body - I didn't quite catch it all........

o

Thanks, Mikie! I'll check out Office Depot.

o

Are you looking for something like this? I used to order photography stuff from that site years ago and they are reliable but I bet you can find something like that else where too. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Monitor Stand

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here