Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where is Waldo...err...the iso file?

Posted by juneroses (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 18:55

I got an error message when I tried to use my Ubuntu CD for banking today. I've had it awhile so decided to make a new one using the latest Ubuntu version. This has proved to be somewhat of an all-day challenge and still I have no working CD!

The problem is that I can't find the ISO file on my computer after I've downloaded it. I've downloaded Ubuntu twice and even tried Kubuntu. The files show in Firefox downloads, but I can't point to them as a source for the burn because I can't find them on the computer.

Before I did the 3rd download, I went into Firefox (Release 17) to be certain of where the downloads were located (surprise...in "Downloads"). During the download I directed that the file was to be opened with ImgBurn. Earlier I had downloaded and installed this program for the purpose of making the CD. I had easily found it in the "Downloads" file (where it was supposed to be) and successfully installed it.

In My Computer, I've checked to be sure that hidden files are NOT hidden.

I've done a computer search on the C drive (and even D, for good measure) for any iso file...nada! I also searched to no avail using "ubuntu" and "kubuntu".

I didn't have any problems making the first Ubuntu CD.

I know asking you to find something on my computer is laughable since there are so many possibilities and variables but I'll ask anyway. Any ideas?

I realize I could just buy a Live CD but I hate to lose this round to the computer.

Specs: Win XP with SP3, and up-to-date Avast, ZA, MBAM, SAS, & Spyware Blaster

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where is Waldo...err...the iso file?

Start>>>Documents>>>My Documents>>>Downloads???

o

Right click on the file in the download dialog box and select 'open containing folder'. The folder should open with the file highlighted.

o

Addendum to my earlier post: I wanted to mention that when I click on the Ubuntu file in Firefox/Tools/Downloads, the option to "Open Containing Folder" is grayed out.

Thanks for the suggestion, Azinoh. I have two Downloads folders. One is under Desktop and the other is under My Computer. There's no sign of the iso file in either. The Imgburn file I downloaded and installed earlier today was in My Computer/Downloads

o

I would try downloading again and set firefox to let you select where the file goes, then when the dialog box ask choose to put it on the desktop so it will be easier to find.

Where are you getting the iso from?
?

o

Distrowatch is a good place to download from. They have pretty much all the distros there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Distrowatch

o
Success!

Decided to try IE instead of FF and that proved to be the solution.

I think, behind the scenes, ZA was causing the problems in FF.

When I started the Ubuntu DL with IE, a ZA box immediately appeared, advising it was preventing the DL; I was given the option to allow it. Once I said yes, the whole Ubuntu DL and progress bars were within a ZA window.

Thanks for the Distrowatch link Raven. I had learned of it earlier and it was thru that site that I went to ubuntu.com for the now successful DL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here