SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Is someone REALLY trying to hijack my google account?

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

Got the message below from "no-reply" - I didn't click on the "reset password" link included because.... well, how do I know its a legitimate link? I thought you weren't supposed to click on links you don't know the source of.

On the other hand, if it's not from Google then how would they know I have my name in the account as C?

Im thinking it's possible that someone may have attempted to hijack my account. I did what may have been a dumb thing the other day - I'm new to the world of job hunting via email (just have been transferring within same organization for the last 20 yrs). So I trustingly sent my resume with phone number and email to a craigslist ad that didn't give the name of the organization (a lot of them don't). So now I wonder if that was a smart thing to do......? Any tips on keeping secure during a job hunt?

(There's got to be better places to look for a job than Craigslist -sheesh!)

Hi C,

Someone recently used your password to try to sign in to your Google Account (*********@gmail.com). This person was using an application such as an email client or mobile device.

We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Friday, November 22, 2013 8:01:08 PM UTC
IP Address: 76.191.100.5

If you do not recognize this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately.

Reset password

If this was you, and you are having trouble accessing your account, complete the troubleshooting steps listed at http://support.google.com/mail?p=client_login

Sincerely,
The Google Accounts team

Comments (6)