Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Word document

Posted by minnie_tx (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 18:07

I've done a google on this and found several "answers" but cant either understand them or just cant figure them out. What I want to do is merely take something I have in my file as a Word Document left aligned and change to a justified paragraph in other words so that both margins are even
does tht make sense?

I've done the select all and change the left to justified but the right margin is still staggered

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Word document

You do not state which version of word.

In Office 2007 bring up the document, click in the left margin 3 times to highlight the entire page, then click the justify button. Save after of course.

o

Sorry I'm still working with Word 2002 and have been happy with it. I wish I could make atemplate so anything I paste to it would come out ok Thanks

o

I've been using word processors since using Paperclip on my Commodore 64 and you've always justified text by selecting the text and clicking the 'justify button'. Since that's not working for you I think there must be some other formatting in your document that is preventing it. I have no idea what that could be. Try right aligning the text and let us know if that works.

o

I've tried that. I sent a document to someone that I had created and they reported it took so long to get it formated into the Justify thing. I'll keep trying thanks again I have to go back and study that google like

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny Tutorial: Improve justified type settings

o

Minnie, that tutorial is telling you how to justify text in a program called Adobe InDesign, not MS Word.

o

Thanks Bob that justification is how I want it to look tho

o

Another 2 cent contribution:
The overall looks of the Tutorial appears to me to have the margins equal, rather than all of the text justified. If all of the lines of text were center-justified both the left and right sides of the page would have jagged edges since all of the words on a line have a different combined number of letters. A simple example: The word two is of course 3 letters whereas the word three has 5. If each of these was on a different line and center-justified, both sides would be jagged so long as the margins were equal. But in order to get nearly every line of equal length, you would have to resort to hyphenating some words at the end of a line that did not exactly match the margins that have been set -- as is done with some newspaper editing. Not all of their lines are exact but come within reason, choosing to hyphenate only the longer words. The Tutorial example "Adding Flush Space" is an illustration of the process used by the newspapers.

o

Add-on.
After selecting the text, my Word 2000 uses Format: Columns: One -- to format a page into what seems to be what you are looking for. As an example, I copied my previous posting and pasted it into Word 2000. I then selected Format, Columns, One and it was reformatted into identical length lines by using extra spaces and spacing to make them the same.

o

Have you tried using Open Office 3.3 a free program that will
open Word files and in the format menu > alingment > justify
should give you what you want. It is FREE.

o

Have you tried selecting "all" and then "clear formatting"?

o

After selecting the text, my Word 2000 uses Format: Columns: One -- to format a page into what seems to be what you are looking for. As an example, I copied my previous posting and pasted it into Word 2000. I then selected Format, Columns, One and it was reformatted into identical length lines by using extra spaces and spacing to make them the same.
xxx
Tried it didn't work Thanks

o

Minnie, maybe this Office article will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alternative full text justification in Word

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here