SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbb_gw

Windows Security Alert Icon

barbb
14 years ago

Hello,

I've done a search on this forum for this problem, but can't seem to find anything so hope this isn't a repeat.

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows XP Pro, and using IE, and OE6. The other night I was doing a "Google" search and all of a sudden there was an unscheduled "scan" that started. Immediately I knew there was a virus problem so I shut down, rebooted and started a full Webroot Anti Virus scan, which turned up 1 virus "Mal". Went back to "Google" and darn if it didn't start again. Same procedure, but this time I did a "Quick" scan which found 1 more.

Just to make sure I then did a Malwarebyte full scan. This time it turned up 6. Finally did another quick on Malwarebyte and it came back clean. My problem is there is this icon on my task bar that whenever I start up it pops up saying my computer may be at risk and to "click the balloon to fix the problem". Well I think I know better than to do that, so I've done nothing. My problem is I cannot get rid of the icon, although it eventually goes away it always comes back when I reboot.

My final question is IF this icon could start another virus if clicked, why didn't Malwarebyte find it in it's search.

Thanks so much for your help.

BarbB

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus