SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
casi_gw

Do I want a notebook, an Ipad or another laptop

casi
11 years ago

I broke my laptop last night! I pulled my phone/clock radio off the nightstand and it feel on my open lap top! Real bummer as it was a high dollar one. I'm thinking maybe I will replace it with an Ipad or a notebook. Any suggestions? I have 2 desk tops and hubby has a laptop. I used my laptop mostly for when I travel or when I want to tuck myself in bed and be lazy. I have a pandigital novel and I love it. My grandchildren have the various kindles and one has an Ipad. How does one shop for something like that? I would like the games and can't I check my e-mail and surf the net?

Any help will be appreciated!

Comments (44)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Did it just crack the display? If so you can get it replaced for much less than a new one, especially if it is a good one.

• grandms
    11 years ago

If you are seriously considering a tablet, look at the reviews of the Google Nexus 7. I pre-ordered the 32GB version which was released yesterday, and it arrived yesterday. Haven't had time to play with it, but I think I'm going to love it. It's half the weight of the Pandigital Novel and does so much more. Also, it's much less expensive than the iPad. $199 for the 16GB version and $249 for the 32 GB version. It uses the latest Android OS 4.1.2 (Jellybean). It does not have a SD expansion slot, but if I ever need additional storage I can use Google's free cloud storage. It is a beautiful device!

• Related Discussions

Does the laptop I want exist?

Q

Comments (7)
    Mine is an Acer Aspire/R7-571/R7-572. I tried to pull it up on Acer's site and Best Buy where I bought it but can't find it. It shows up on the top...on the site I posted, but only for a minute or two with no info, just shown folding it. I can't seem to pull it up on their site so maybe they have a new model now. It has an Acer converter port (?), an HDMI port, usb port with off charging, usb port, headphone speaker jack, on the left side. On the other side an SD reader, another usb port, DC-in jack and kensinton lock slot. It also has another one that looks like the reader port, but doesn't open. Sorry I don't know the terminology, it doesn't list hard drive. Maybe memory?? The external CD drive I bought, does not do movies, I would have buy something costing $79 and I haven't done that yet. On the site I posted click on accessories and there is a photo of it with an ad for a sleeve. Here is a link that might be useful: Acer This post was edited by EmmaR on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 17:25
    ...See More

My iPad is on its way! What service do you have?

Q

Comments (33)
    T, you're still not getting what I'm saying. lol. WiFi Adapter. Many older (and not so old) computers cannot access WiFi because they simply are not equipped to receive signals from WF routers. You buy an adapter to instantly receive signals from the WiFi router. I have 4 PC's, business and personal. Three of them are new, the other one is 11 years old. Works great, but it won't access the Internet because of not having the WiFi signal stuff already in it. It worked great with DSL. WiFi...no Internet. Hence, a WiFi adaptor is needed. It's no big deal, just a little adapter is all. Look it up.
    ...See More

'Why your kitchen wants its own iPad'

Q

Comments (30)
    Yes, there are innumerable PDF readers for ipad. I prefer goodreader myself, but there are dozens to choose from. Not sure what you mean by "not compatible with adobe". You can't run any desktop program on any tablet (from any maker) because they use a different operating system, but Adobe has quite a number of programs for ipad, including ones that let you use the ipad to control the desktop version of PS. iPads don't do Flash, but that's not much of an issue anymore. For large commercial sites that still have flash content on their web pages there's often an app you can download that lets you view their content on the ipad.
    ...See More

Tamara, HOUZZ, help me please, I want to use my ipad too.

Q

Comments (5)
    Moni, just navigate to the GW Forum List on your iPad. When there, you should see a "Sign In" button in the upper right corner of the page. Ignore the green confirm your account button; you've already done that. All you want to do now is sign in. Let me know if you need a screen shot of that. You will be presented with a page to enter your username or email address and password. That should get you in.
    ...See More
  • casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grandms, I've been seeing them advertised....sounds good with your recommendation. Where did you order it from?
    Raven, I didn't know that was possible....figured it was a total. Yes, it looks like someone thru a rock thru the display. It is a Sony Vaio. I think my Mom paid quite a bit for it. Should I contact Sony? Then I would have to send it in?
    Even if I can get it fixed, I think I would like another electronic device! I love them!

• grandms
    11 years ago

Casi, I was going to order from NewEgg, but they stopped taking orders for the 32GB version, so I tried TigerDirect, and they took the order. I still thought I might not get it if they had more orders than stock, so I was really surprised to find the package on my front porch Tuesday evening (our UPS guy comes quite late in the day, and we didn't even hear the truck). Supposedly this is the best Android tablet our there if you want the smaller 7" size and better than the iPad Mini, which costs more (naturally). There is now a 10" one which I think also became available on the 13th, or maybe not yet. It's called the Nexus 10. I wanted something I could put into a purse. I have ordered a cover from Amazon, but that hasn't come yet.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Oh yeah I would definitely recommend having the display replaced. Is it still under warranty? If not you can have a local repair shop do it for you.
    I don't mean like best buy but a local owned company that repairs and builds computers.
    There are many you tube video showing how to do it but I don't think that is something you want to tackle.

The Google nexus is made by Asus they have put out basically the same device with their name on it but from what I have read it does have a memory card slot. Which to me is very important, on all of my tablets I use the sd card.
    So if you are interested in the nexus you might take a look at that one. I don't know the name of it sorry.

I like the fact they have a quad core processor and really good resolution. Both are made by Asus and they make a good product.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Grandms, please report back on how you like it. Congrats!

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for the info. I contacted Sony and they said $199 - $299, maybe more or less. I don't want to spend that much for repair. But I was looking at it...it has a couple of screws...and I was thinking I would open it. The guy did say that there were still parts available since it only 3 yrs. old. I have a lady that runs the computer dept. at the local high school who works on computers. Thought I would check with her too. My daughter suggested googling it on you.tube too.
    Also, may want to post this in another thread...when I looked up the phone number for Sony Support I got some other company, in disguise as Sony Support and then got a call back from them. I believe the last thing I could understand him saying was PC Doctor. I played along with the caller in the beginning and he directed me to my event log on my desk top PC. I have over 6000 warnings and errors. What is the best way to handle them. He was going to have me download a program but I told him that I didn't want to do that.

• genes
    11 years ago

If you can give us the exact model number, I might be able to find disassembly instructions for it like
    ((vaio vgn a270p))

• genes
    11 years ago

I have done screen replacements on other brands before and mostly about a 15min to 1/2 hour job with the replacement in hand..I have had good luck finding replacment screens on Ebay as well

• grandms
    11 years ago

I think genes is giving you good advice. If you can find the correct replacement screen, you may very well find instructions for replacement, including a uTube video. When I needed to replace a part in an older HP laptop, someone here helped me find the instructions and a video to do it. Bought the part on eBay and did it myself!

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Genes, I found an instructions page last night...looks easy enough. It said to do a google of the part number and that I could probably get it cheaper than from Sony. I'm recovering from foot surgery so I'm not real ambulatory yet....haven't pestered hubby for a screwdriver. My Sony is a Vaio VGNSR290. The article suggested hooking the laptop up to another monitor to be sure nothing else was damaged. Thanks for your help.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Never fall for those kinds of phone calls and don't worry about the event viewer, if you have a problem some time you can get an idea of what causes it from the event viewer.

I am certain that it was a register cleaner he wanted you to use which you never want to use! And I am sure you would have some malware along for the ride from the download.

You didn't let him take control of the computer did you?

These guys are doing this scam all over the place. It probably had nothing to do with you calling Sony.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Oh and remember you can always just plug a regular monitor in and use it that way.

• genes
    11 years ago

Yes, by all means, plug in an external monitor to ensure the rest of the laptop is functioning

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I didn't let him get control of my PC. I did a search for Event Viewer Errors and Warnings and I got information about it and it even talked about the telephone scams going on.
    I got the screen out of my laptop last night. I'm not sure about the stuff sticking from the bottom, it has a different part number so I'm thinking it is supposed to come off, but I will do a search for a Sony repair first. Genes if you find anything let me know. Thanks

• genes
    11 years ago

This isnt your exact model, but should not be too far off the track
    http://www.insidemylaptop.com/replace-lcd-screen-sony-vaio-nw235f-laptop/

• genes
    11 years ago

Sorry try this link

Here is a link that might be useful: Replace LCD screen Sony Vaio

• grandms
    11 years ago

Back to a prior post on this thread: I finally set up my Nexus 7 and synced it to my gmail account. Wow! Immediately my e-mails, music, and other things appeared on the tablet. I had ordered a cover/stand with attached keyboard from Amazon, and it came today. However, I find that typing on the virtual keyboard on this device is not hard at all. Each item touched makes a click sound, and I did not make one single typo. By the way, the manual says to leave the wi-fi turned on, that it uses less data that way that turning it on and off. So while it is in sleep mode, even though the wi-fi is on, it does not use data. I have no fears of running out of storage space. My first Windows 98 computer had 8.9GB of hard disk storage. This has 32GB, and I do not intend to use it as a substitute for a regular computer. Android 4.12 (Jellybean) is so fast it's unbelieveable. I already love, love, love this gadget!!!

• samkuso
    11 years ago

If you just need to browse the web , it's recommended to buy ipad,Of course, if you need a game to use the notebook , it is recommended to buy a configured.

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grandms, Sounds so fun! I've been watching the holiday sales, thinking I might stumble upon one. I'm still waiting on my laptop....gonna call Sreentex on Monday to find out how much my replacement screen will be. One or the other may have to wait to be my after-Christmas present to myself, especially sent I bought hubby a new TV!

• grandms
    11 years ago

Well, now, if you have a birthday or something of the sort coming up soon, then hubby can reciprocate and get you a nice "toy".

• grandms
    11 years ago

Forgot to say that I largely paid for my tablet using the cash rewards from the two credit cards I use. I use my CCs for most shopping, including groceries. I pay my bills in full each month, via automatic bank payment, so no interest accrues, and by the end of the year, I have a nice bit of cash coming to me.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Oh grandms, you did it now!!! I have a lot of money /points saved up on my 2 credit cards, one is only for online one for everything else, and I too pay them off each month. I had not even thought about that money!

I was an idiot last night, one sale a day had the 10 " ASUS transformer brand new for $279, I hesitated and lost out because it was sold out fast. That was an awesome price. It also has the same quad core processor and an sd card slot, high resolution Ips screen and jellybean. I am kicking myself.

I am so glad you are loving your new toy!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Well it turns out it was a good thing I missed out on that one because I just got lucky and got the ASUS 10" TF300 Transformer tablet with the dock keyboard for a killer price.
    I am looking forward to this one! Early Christmas gift from the hubby he said saves him from trying to figure out what to get me. fine with me!

Plus he will likely get to use my Vizio now which is a definite upgrade from his lookbook reader.

• grandms
    11 years ago

Good for you. Hope you really enjoy your new toy.

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grandms and Raven, I am really confused....Acer or Asus? My daughter called last night to tell me that my 12 yr old Grandson would really like a tablet. I was telling her about the 10 in. that Grandms mentioned, but I may have gotten the issue confused. She called me right back and asked Acer? There is one on sale the week-end, $100 off at Best Buy. I had company and we were in the middle of a really hot game of Dominos!!! so I couldn't pursue it. She ended up ordering it. It has only the 16 GB memory. Do you think that will be okay? My grandson has had a couple of Kindles, but little sister ends up with the Kindle Fire in her bedroom!

• grandms
    11 years ago

Asus makes the 7" Nexus tablet which is what I bought. I believe Samsung makes the 10" Nexus. Acer is another company that makes PCs and also tablets. I'm not familiar with their tablets, but probably 16GB storage will be okay for your grandson. In fact, if it has a SD slot, that will expand the ROM even more. I know the iPads come in both 16 and 32 and maybe they even have a 8GB storage. So unless you save lots of stuff on a tablet, the storage amount might not be so important. Depends on if you are using it for entertainment or for a substitute for a pc. I know the Kindle Fires do not have lots of storage.

Do you know the other specs of the Acer tablet? The latest Android OS is 4.02 or 4.2 (don't remember which). It is the one called Jellybean. Also what else does it have? See if you can find any reviews for that particular model.

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grandms, I checked it again and it has the Android 4.0 Ice cream operating system....has very good reviews. Think I'll just quit worrying about it. Like you say, it will be fine probably for a 12 yr old.

I need to get back to my other issue...hope Genes checks back in. I'm still trying to pursue fixing my other laptop. I found a you tube video which does match up what I've already done as far as taking the old screen off the lap top. I'm still unsure of the part number I need; I found a web site for Screentek but the part I think I need I am supposed to call for a price and so far I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone. Raven mentioned that I can hook the laptop up to another screen. I did do that and it went thru it's opening sequence but not into the Windows boot. Is that good enough to suggest that everything else is okay? The screen itself has a bunch of stuff attached to it on the bottom (which also has a part number on it)and I'm not sure if it is supposed to come off....wish I could remember easily how to attach a picture here.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I would suspect it is an Acer Iconia which should be a good tablet. I haven't read up on it a lot but it should have pretty decent specs depending on the model of course.

• genes
    11 years ago

Have you watched the link in my previous post..it should help in identifying "The stuff attached on the bottom" There should be a small little board attached (about 1" x 3" which is called an inverter board. These can fail too, but with the screen being broken on your laptop, there should be no problem with yours. When doing disassembly, always advisable to take pics for each step with a digital camera so assembly goes smoother..also, stick screw (tiny) to piece of tape and a piece of paper to indicate which step they were from..dont want to mix as some are larger diameter or longer that others

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Genes, I can't open the link....I've tried www.openmylaptop.com and it won't open either.

• genes
    11 years ago

I will try it again

Here is a link that might be useful: Sony Screen/Inverter board

• genes
    11 years ago

It works now, maybe there is a time limit on how long it stays viable

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't understand why I cannot get it. I can't even get "insidemylaptop.com" if I type it in? Why would that be?
    I had found a site "Screentek" that sells screens but I had to call for a price. I heard back from them today and they said that they don't have one for my laptop. I'm getting pretty discouraged.

• grandms
    11 years ago

The link worked just fine for me @ 10PM EST.

• genes
    11 years ago

Casi, maybe try thelink with another browser

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know this will probably be a dumb question....how do I change browsers? I use IE now....

• acraftylady
    11 years ago

The link worked for me usinhg IE9. If you have another browser installed like firefox or chrome just click it to open if not then you will have to install another browser. Mary

• bob414
    11 years ago

You should have at least two browsers anyway. They don't interfere with one another and you have another to try if you have problems with one of them.

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I looked in my list of programs and I have Google Chrome, is that a browser....when I click on it it does ask if I want it to be my default browser. Do I make it my default and then I can go back and forth between the two?

• grandms
    11 years ago

Yes, Google Chrome is a browser. No, you do not have to make it your default browser to use it. Just click on the icon for Chrome to open it, same as you do for IE. But you can have whichever one you want as your default and still use either one.

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I clicked on it and got that message about making it a default, which I ignored. When Itype "www.insidemylaptop.com" I get the message "No data received Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data."

• grandms
    11 years ago

Did you try clicking the link that genes posted using Chrome? That's the browser I use, and it opened just find using the link.

• casi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, this just blows my mind! I went to this website thru Chrome, clicked on the link about and got the same message! It is beyond my understanding.