Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old router new computer question

Posted by renee_b (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 17:08

Hello,
I have had my same ISP for 10 years, same Belkin N wireless router for 2 years but I just got a new desktop computer, the old one died. Do I need to reinstall the CD that came with the router or can I just hookup router/modem to the new computer? I seem to recall that the CD really wasn't needed but wanted to check with the experts here. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old router new computer question

You should be fine plugging it in. Just try it...you can't hurt anything. The only time I recall having to change my settings was when a house guest wanted to hook up a Mac to my wired router, and the other computers in the house were PCs.

o

if you happen to have the router set up with Mac addresses for each computer that is on the network then you will need to enter the Mac address of the new desktop into the router. That is really the best way to set them up for security so that only the specific Mac addresses you list can connect through your router.

o

Kudzu9... Thanks for the response. I tried what you said, just plugging it in. I have Vista and a screen came up asking about a network something. It had a choice of Home...Office... or a place like Starbucks. I clicked on home, then tried getting on the internet. wouldn't connect but all lights on DSL Modem and Belkin Router were lit up including the Internet light. I unhooked router and went back to using my modem, still wouldn't connect to Internet. I rebooted (without router in use) and now I'm back to normal. Should I have rebooted after I hooked up the Belkin router? P.S. There are no Macs involved.
Thanks again for your help.

o

Mac address has nothing at all to do with Mac computers.
Media Access Control address (MAC address)
The computers you use each have an individual Mac address assigned to them it is unique and identifies them, so do not be confused by the term Mac address, I am talking about your computers.
The MAC Address
on that same link there are links to how to find your Mac address and more tutorials.
How to Find the MAC Address of Your Computer

This is what I am talking about when I say to use Mac Address entries(Mac address filtering) in your router for your network to keep it safer.
Enable MAC Address Filtering on Wireless Access Points and Routers
securing a wireless network explains all facets and steps for creating a secure wireless network.

o

ravencajun... Thank you so much for the info you posted. After reading it, it makes sense that with each new computer I use this router with, I have to configure it. And here I thought I was just configuring the router with the ISP info. Excuse my little knowledge of computers. Now... If I can just find the CD.

o
RE: Old router new computer question - UPDATE

I finally found the Set-Up Assistant CD for the Belkin router. I installed and it had the same name of what I named the router back when I had XP. Towards the end of installation, Belkin was trying to connect to the Internet and it couldn't, providing me with a knowledge base of questions and answers and a Belkin Support phone #. However, I noticed my Vista laptop in the other room was able to connect with a perfect signal. I called Belkin, got a man who I couldn't understand, I tried, through, but when he was wanting to start exploring my computer I declined. I called my ISP and they wanted to charge me $69 because it was a router they didn't support. In the past, whenever my computer wasn't acting right I've always rebooted. Well, I rebooted this time and now everything is working perfectly. I think I'm going to email Belkin and let them know that this may help alot of people, a simple reboot after installation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here