SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwtamara

Post Editing

gwtamara
11 years ago

Hi everyone,
We've been working on adding an 'edit post' feature and hope to have it fully functional this week. We are rolling it out to a select few forums (including this one) for testing and would appreciate your feedback.
To edit, once you have loaded the page where your post is located, look to the right and you'll see an edit link just under the Clippings area. This will open up the post and you'll be able to make your changes. It will be very similar to making changes in the Preview window when you make an original post.

You will not be able to edit your Subject line.

You will only be able to edit messages that you've posted today and beyond. Messages that you've posted before last Friday will not be accessible with the edit post feature. Also, once you have posted a new message, there is no time limit to make your edits.

Once you've changed your post, a notation is added to the bottom of the post, showing that it's edited. There is always a log kept of the original post.

If you experience any problems, please be specific as to what you are seeing and - very importantly - what type of computer and browser (and version) you are using. Please post issues/feedback to this thread.

Any questions, let me know!

Best,

Tamara

This post was edited by gwTamara on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 23:09

Comments (36)

• bob414
    11 years ago

Thank you! It works.
    Seeing if I can edit it again.

This post was edited by bob414 on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 19:47

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

I can't seem to edit your post bob414.
    But I seem to be able to edit mine..
    But I have to press refresh to see it.

This post was edited by mikie on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 17:50

• Related Discussions

New Posting Editing Feature

Q

Comments (13)
    Oh Lloyd, you always make me laugh. I can't find opera since she started her own network. edited to add "but I did enjoy Tom jumping her couch". edited to add "but I did enjoy Tom jumping her couch". This post was edited by dottyinduncan on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 17:34
    ...See More

Post Editing

Q

Comments (10)
    Test Added edit. Multiple edit:added image purely for testing purposes. 4th edit:will the image disappear? 5th edit:yes the image added on edit #3 disappears unless you add it again when re-edited.This also happens on a first, non-edited post if you add an image to a post, preview and add something and preview--on the second preview, the image disappears.Another bug of sorts: seem to have lost the double spaces after the colon character after edits.The code is removing multiple spaces? I used to write software, and remember testing for bugs.Ah, the memories... 6th edit:link test 7th edit:does link disappear when re-edited? 8th edit: link remains. the "optional link url" and "name of link" text boxes remain filled, unlike the "image file to upload" text box. So you're discarding the text in the image textbox once you get the photo, but you retain the data in the link text boxes. Nowhere to store the location of the image between page reloads? Makes me want to program again (a little, not too much). Here is a link that might be useful: garden web antique rose forum This post was edited by hoovb on Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 16:07
    ...See More

blooming daffs

Q

Comments (1)
    Moni, It's okay. We could have looked at the photos twice! Dawn
    ...See More

"Edit post" Been Hacked!

Q

Comments (14)
    I constantly get these video pop ups here. They are very annoying and cover part of the page that you are trying to read. I know that this is a GW problem. When I switch to Facebook, I never ever get a pop up. So My feeling is that GW server/system allows these pop ups to pop up.
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Well you should only be able to edit your own post not anyone else's.

Will there be a time period on the post for editing, on most of the forums I am on you can edit for like 15 minutes after posting but can not edit a post if anyone has already posted after your post since it could change the course of the information contained.

Testing edit, it works.

This post was edited by ravencajun on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 18:06

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Can you see me now?

Will there be a time period on the post for editing, on most of the forums I am on you can edit for like 15 minutes after posting but can not edit a post if anyone has already posted after your post since it could change the course of the information contained.
    Well let's see if it will let me edit now, even though Mikie has replied.

You forgot to say anything Chemocurl

Mikie...hint...right click and "select all"

Just adding another edit to this..

This post was edited by chemocurl on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 18:57

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

You forgot to say anything Chemocurl
    2 days is a nice time for editing. I think ! Even longer is ok.
    Microsoft support forums seem to be eternally editable as do some of the other majors. Moderated by user feedback to staff.

This post was mentioned by chemocurl on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 18:29

Here is a link that might be useful: can we change disney link to.. ummm

This post was edited by mikie on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 23:43

• not2bright
    11 years ago

I'm seeing additional information of some sort in the "Posted by..." line of those posts above that were edited.

???

11 years ago

I'm seeing additional information of some sort in the "Posted by..." line of those posts above that were edited.
    I'm not seeing anything out of the norm. Can you copy and paste what you are seeing? You don't mean the info at the bottom of the posts where it shows the member edited the post and the time it was edited, do you?

11 years ago

What is this all about in Mike's post above?

This post was mentioned by chemocurl on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 18:29

• owbist
    11 years ago

Thanks Tamara, this should be good.

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ravencajun -- there is no time limit.

Not2bright and Chemocurl -- I think Mikie is messing with you a bit. ;)

• grandms
    11 years ago

Thanks! This will be very helpful.

11 years ago

ahhh...now why am I not surprised?

gwTamara,
    I forgot to add before, thanks for the great new editing feature.

Sue

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    11 years ago

Thanks gwTamara.

It'll be nice not to have to worry about not being able to fix speeling errors and broken links.

(Reason for edit: Fixed speeling.)

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 23:43

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

It is a welcomed tool for posters. All of the forums I visit have this feature, and it does help keeping posts on point and accurate. Further, there is also an option in the member's profile to hide the "edit" notice. I for one subscribe to this for the obvious as I have purposely shown here.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 7:40

This post was edited by damccoy on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 7:40

This post was edited by damccoy on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 7:58

• not2bright
    11 years ago

Posted by gwTamara (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 20:30

Ravencajun -- there is no time limit.

I've included an image capturing at least 3 of the "Posted by" lines. (This post may look confusing, but everything below my "FYI" line is the screenshot. Notice the 3 instances I've underlines in red.) Btw, what I'm seeing is visible on ALL the "Posted by..." lines of those posts that have been edited. E.g. the most recent post as of mine here is the one by chuggerguy. His line reads:

Posted by chuggerguy 9B/10A Vero Beach (My Page) on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 23:37

FYI - I'm using Windows 7 Pro and FF 17.

• not2bright
    11 years ago

BTW, I assume that the information I'm seeing is strictly location information of some sort. But ravencajun's "8" kind of threw me off. :-/

• not2bright
    11 years ago

FWIW, here are all I'm seeing so far (in order):

Posted by bob414 USDA 9, Sunset 15 (My Page) on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 17:36

Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 17:48

Posted by ravencajun 8 (My Page) on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 18:05

Posted by chemocurl 5/6 S INdiana (My Page) on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 18:20

Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 18:25

Posted by chuggerguy 9B/10A Vero Beach (My Page) on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 23:37

Posted by damccoy MI 5 (My Page) on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 7:36

11 years ago

Wow not2bright, that is cool! What you are seeing is the garden zone/locations that 'some members' have set up in their Member Profiles.

In the past, the garden zone has not been displayed in a post whenever a member made a post to one of The Home Forums but the garden zone/location info was automatically displayed (if the member had it set up in their profile) in a post if a member posted to one of Garden Forums.

Ok, I noticed something. On the posts made, that haven't been edited, the garden zone/location isn't displayed. If they are edited, and if they member has the garden zone/location set up in their profile, then it will be displayed.

I've wished that GW would automatically display the garden zone/location in all posts made to The Home Forums as well as the Garden Forums. Often it is 'good to know' info when posting at Windows, Building a Home, Home Decor, etc.

Sue

• not2bright
    11 years ago

Thanks, Sue.

FWIW, I now see that Tamara's first post has been edited (didn't notice that before), but I'm not seeing the new information on her "Posted by..." line. Maybe that's because she's the only one here who has not set up the garden zone in her profile ? I wonder if all people I referred to above (bob, mikie, etc.) can confirm what you say by checking their profiles. ???

11 years ago

BTW, I assume that the information I'm seeing is strictly location information of some sort. But ravencajun's "8" kind of threw me off. :-/
    Missed that post of yours...Ok...if you click on ravencajun's My Page you will see that that is the only info displayed for My zone is.

Sue

• not2bright
    11 years ago

Ok. Now I see I don't need to have others check. I can do so myself by clicking "My Page." Thanks. :-)

Still, Tamara's "My Page" shows "6" but it's not displaying on her first post.

I guess it really doesn't matter. I didn't know whether this was some sort of privacy issue (displaying personal location information or something). But now that I see it's strictly garden zone related. No big deal. Odd, though, that others weren't/aren't seeing it ! :-/

• not2bright
    11 years ago

FWIW, I just tried editing my above post and got this message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@astrology.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

This line is just an editing test.

This post was edited by not2bright on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 11:54

11 years ago

Still, Tamara's "My Page" shows "6" but it's not displaying on her first post.
    Yes, that is strange that it isn't showing in her initial post that has been edited. Maybe it just won't show the zone info on edited initial/first posts in the thread.
    Tamara, any ideas?

Odd, though, that others weren't/aren't seeing it ! :-/
    Now that you have mentioned what you are seeing, I imagine that they too are seeing it. Hopefully someone will soon weigh in on it.

Btw, I'm seeing the zone info, but it didn't 'click' with me initially since I am used to seeing it on the garden forums I frequent.

++++This is just a 'test' edit because of not2bright's above post.
    ++++2nd edit. The first one was fine...try it again not2bright. Maybe GW system just coughed or you fat-fingered it?

This post was edited by chemocurl on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 8:59

• not2bright
    11 years ago

Yes, thanks.You're right, Sue.I successfully edited my previous post.:-)

This post was edited by not2bright on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 12:14

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

Not meaning to confuse anyone, the observation I shared as to hiding the "edit" notice is not directed here. This option occurs at the other sites. Hopefully it will become available here.

DA

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Damccoy--

Not sure what you mean by hiding the notice? Do you mean making an edit and there would be no notice to the post that it was edited?

While that may be an option on other forums, I think we want to be as transparent as possible. Even if a post was only edited for a typo or clarification, it just seems like the right thing to do.

11 years ago

Not meaning to confuse anyone, the observation I shared as to hiding the "edit" notice is not directed here. This option occurs at the other sites. Hopefully it will become available here.
    Damcoy, are you speaking about the post you made above which between posts made bychuggerguy and not2bright?The post that after you edited it has big blank white spaces in it, probably where there was words before it was edited?

Ok, just for fun I'm going to insert a pic and then edit it and remove the pic, and I'm guessing there will be that big white empty space in the post.We shall see.

Ellie the night she found my house and came to live with me very late one warm June night.Photobucket pic.
    Removing the pic in the edit post.

This post was edited by chemocurl on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 13:55
    hmmmmm

This post was edited by chemocurl on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 13:56

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sue,

The empty white space was caused by posts that had html tags in the preview window. If you don't see those tags, you won't get the white space.

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

"While that may be an option on other forums, I think we want to be as transparent as possible. Even if a post was only edited for a typo or clarification, it just seems like the right thing to do."

Through the years at all the forums I visit that has the option there has never been an expressed concern. Never. None. Nada. Some members opt out and others don't. Sorry, I don't see the transparency issue.

DA

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

My zone is 8 so yes that is why that is showing on my posts that are edited.

I agree with Tamara on the edit notice being present. If not it can really change the content and often context of the flow of information and can cause some heated debates as to what someone had said or not said etc. Which is why some do a timed period for editing and won't allow an edit if anyone has already posted after your post. I personally like that approach best. It just helps keep things honest and hopefully less drama LOL

by the way thanks Tamara!

11 years ago

The empty white space was caused by posts that had html tags in the preview window. If you don't see those tags, you won't get the white space.
    Ok.

"While that may be an option on other forums, I think we want to be as transparent as possible. Even if a post was only edited for a typo or clarification, it just seems like the right thing to do."
    I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, on the Exchange Forums I would have liked for there to be no edit feature, since an occasionally shifty trader could edit their posts.
    Like offering cuttings, versus rooted cuttings, or offering this instead of that, etc. I know many wanted to be able to edit trade posts, but if they wanted to change what they had to offer, or what they were looking for, they could just update their trade lists...but oh well. Not my problem, since I am no longer actively trading on the Exchanges at this time.

I know you said, "There is always a log kept of the original post. " but I doubt if anyone would want to go to the time and trouble to find out what an 'original' post said, unless they were out mega bucks and plants, iykwim.

Sue

• owbist
    11 years ago

I think the notice informing the reader that the post has been edited is good. Otherwise posts could be changed making later posters look foolish perhaps.

11 years ago

I think the notice informing the reader that the post has been edited is good. Otherwise posts could be changed making later posters look foolish perhaps.
    Exactly. I wonder how badly some of the rather radical members at Hot Topics will abuse it....lol I can see some folks being baited and then them ending up with egg on their faces.

gwTamara, I'm assuming that it will be a feature on all forums. Right?

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

It will be what it will be and that is fine with me. I just seem to be hearing if, come see, maybe. "Only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

DA

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sue -- yes, on all forums.

DA -- Always good to hear a differing opinion. Variety is the spice of life! ;)

• shboom
    11 years ago

This will be a great feature and a long time coming. On one forum I post at the post edited is displayed at the bottom such as here. On another forum the there is an option to add the line. (just testing the edit feature)

This post was edited by shboom on Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 22:00

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County