Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can i get a usb flash drive with enough gb

Posted by angelaid (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 16:46

to backup my office computer?
If I use the Windows backup software and something happens and I have to restore at some point, will all my word processing software still function? Reason I'm asking is, some of the software programs I use are so old that I can't even find the original disks (WordPerfect, Quicken 2003) any more. Would I still be able to use the programs from a "restored" copy of my backup? Hope that makes sense.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can i get a usb flash drive with enough gb

So long as you've backed up any important data files, I wouldn't fret about losing these antique programs. There are many choices of free and easy to use software you can press into service in a flash. Even Google Drive (formerly Google Docs) offers free software-like apps for word processing, presentations, spreadsheets, etc., that are completely compatible with current competing programs (which what you now have may not be). And, file backups are unnecessary (unless you're paranoid), Google keeps your files in their proverbial "cloud".

To replace your (almost) 10 year old version of Quicken, try Mint. Now owned by Intuit, it's free, highly recommended and widely used. Play with it now, switch over on Jan 1, and wave goodbye to Quicken 2003. Or, get a new Quicken, it's not that expensive and it'll serve you for another 10 years.

o

You would be better off using an imaging program that will create a snapshot of your entire hard drive or clone it so that you can put it back on another drive exactly as it currently exists that will cover your settings and programs, the operating system everything exactly as it is. There are several free imaging programs these are a couple you can look at.
Macrium Reflect
EaseUS Todo Backup Free

flash drives come in very large sizes now so I am sure you could find them to fit your needs.

o

Might be easiest and very much quicker to stick another hard drive in the computer and automate a weekly or monthly system image backup to it.

o

I have a Seagate external drive on my desk that does daily backups, but if there was a fire, or other catastrophe, it's not going to be much help. Was thinking a usb stick would be easy to backup to every day and stick in my pocket.

o

Is security an issue? If so, I would not be backing up to a USB drive and putting it in your pocket, where it could accidently fall out and picked up by almost anyone. I think locking the external in a vault at the end of the day, would be a better option.

o

I also back up really important things to an online storage locker so I have something off site plus I can get to it from any computer anywhere. Adrive which I have had for years gives you 50GB free storage and you can purchase more.
http://www.adrive.com/
Personal Basic (FREE 50GB)

so that would be another option.

o

To answer your initial question.....you can get a 64 GB flash drive, which should be plenty of room to backup what you have on your computer.

o

I have seen up to a 500GB flash drive not that anyone would want one but they are out there so the size should not be an issue at all they come in lots and lots of sizes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here