Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
McAfee

Posted by sugar_fl (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 16:17

This morning I updated my flash player & didn't see McAfee. Well it installed McAfee also. Can I just delete it in add & remove? I'm usually more careful but was in a hurry & now look what happened.
I hope I haven't messed up my computer as I also have Avast.
Thanks for any advice,
Dar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: McAfee

you can try that or also use system restore if it does not go away you could try REVO

o

Thanks Raven.. It seems to be gone.. at least it is no longer listed in add & remove. That will teach me to be more careful from now on.
Dar

o

If you have CCleaner you might want to run the registry tool. On the appearing report select everything related to McAfee and remove. No guessing. As a practice accept the offer to create a backup when doing so.

DA

o

If you can find him .. John McAfee may be able to help!

You've probably used software pioneered by John McAfee in your lifetime. The 67 year-old tech guru founded McAfee, Inc., the self-described "world�s largest dedicated security technology company." The company is most often associated with its virus removal services and products � what you and I buy to keep our computers clean. It�s a multibillion industry and McAfee is no exception: the company was purchased by mega-IT company Intel in 2011 for $7.68 billion.

You would think with numbers like that, John McAfee would be taking things easy. Only he�s not. The reclusive and somewhat controversial millionaire is currently on the run in Belize: he is wanted by police as part of investigation for the murder of his neighbor, Gregory Faull. Mr. Faull was found shot to death in his home over the weekend. McAfee was sought by police for questioning but instead, fled.

Here is a link that might be useful: murder-and-mayhem

o

Why do the apostrophes and other assorted marks get all messed up in this forum?

They are changed to gobbly-goop no matter what or how often you try to correct the mess!

o

I just experimented with assorted marks and no problem like I see above. A long time ago someone asked about that and it was blamed on typing their post else where, then copy and pasting it into the message box. ???

o

I don't know about McAfee but I'd make a guess that the apostrophe problem has something to do with "Character encoding"?

Just as an experiment, the next time it happens, you might try changing character encoding from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1(or visa versa) before doing the copy/paste just to see what happens.

Just something to try if you want.

o

it's looking ok here when I last saw it's Courier New fonts via IE Western European (windows) encoding !

o

Mine is set for Western (ISO, etc.), and I also get the gobbely gook on this forum. Previously had it set for UNICODE and it did the same.

o
RE: McAfee edit

Now I needed to edit the above, and don't see how to do it. Anyway, changed from one setting to another and it still messes up. By the way, I do not do a copy and paste, but type directly into the message box.

o

I updated Adobe Flash this morning on a PC I am fixing that won't update and I, too almost became a victim of that little piece of foistware. It's not the McAfee AV that is offered as a download, it is a site adviser that is similar to the WOT Safe browsing add-on. Avast has one as well when you install the Avast AV, if you choose to install it.

It won't interfere with your Avast though it is a pain because you didn't want it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here