SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

Can I use a computer to record TV progs.--especially on a timer?

biwako_of_abi
12 years ago

I have a Dell Inspiron Desktop with Win7 now, but the computer I might use with the TV is a Dell Dimension with WinXP on it.

Our old and heavy TV finally expired, so, having lost a lot of our income in this downturn, we bought a small Samsung Series TA350 LED TV monitor. It has places to hook up a VCR or DVD (those red, yellow, and white plugs), and I just assumed that since our very old previous TV had allowed for cables out to the VCR/DVD recording unit, a new TV would also allow for them. But no. There is some sort of "out" port (HDMI to DVI cable) that I don't recognize, but it is only for audio, apparently.

My Question:

Since there is a USB port for connecting to a computer and I have an old one I could use, is there some kind of software--hopefully not expensive--that would allow me to record TV programs, and, hopefully, to have the PC do so even when I am not home? Or is it possible that there exists some sort of USB cable adaptor with the red, yellow, and white jacks on its other end, so I could hook up the TV monitor directly with the recording device?

I phoned for help at CostCo, where I had bought the TV, and was told that there was no way to send output to be recorded, and when I asked about the USB port, the lady just said I'd have to find out anything about that from the computer company. Hah!

The VCR/DVD recorder/player I now have only has ports for the red, yellow, and white jacks. It does have ports for in and out labeled "S-VIDEO," but I guess no such ports are going to help me, when the TV monitor itself has nothing for outputting to the recording device.

I will be very happy if anyone here can show me a solution to this problem, short of buying an expensive entertainment center. (I barely know what one of those would contain, anyway.)

Comments (15)