Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
software uninstall issue

Posted by carolssis (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 14:08

Acer Aspire 4720Z laptop, Vista Home. I downloaded Logitech webcam software,(no this model doesn't have camera) and it didn't work. I attempted to uninstall it with Vista. It removed one of the icons, not the other. It did not complete uninstall, box with header"Logitech Master Installer" came up, blank, then "MSetup" box with message, redX-an invalid argument was encountered. Logitech Master Installer screen will not close, only mimimize. Have attempted to use other uninstall program, Revo, got same thing, Logitech box, blank and MSetup box also. Have tried to update driver, message states driver is up to date. Logitech webcam icon on desktop opens, quick capture and webcam gallery do not open, preferences box does. Any idea where I can go from here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: software uninstall issue

Restart the computer.

o
more on this topic

Probably what happened is the Logitech software was running and this almost always causes an issue, sometimes you can boot to safe mode and uninstall it, but not always. If the Windows installer / uninstaller is involved you will get an error. So far it does not look like the Windows installer is involved and Logitech has it's own. So another idea is to reinstall the software and boot to the safe mode and uninstall it from there.

o

I like the idea of reinstalling first. However, instead of utilizing the Add/Remove utility perhaps a better idea would be the use of REVO.

DA

o

That's certainly a good consideration going right to revo!

o

I am not real comfortable recommending REVO for chasing leftover orphan files and registry entries.

Application code is shall we say a system of connected dots so a bit of data is reliant on the preceding data as is the following data equal on its predecessor.

I would do the reinstall then use REVO.

DA

o

Revo runs the programs default uninstaller before it does its cleanup leftovers thing.

CCleaner registry cleaner & PTlight can do some more cleaning too safely.

o

have tried to reinstall webcam software, that idea didn't work either. I'll try uninstall from safe mode. thanks for all your suggestions, I appreciate it.

o

Besides my aforementioned "orphan" concern in using REVO, I question if REVO would work properly at all without the target application being reinstalled as the poster reported "I attempted to uninstall with Vista." ......"It did not complete uninstall".

As most of us know the use of the target application's on-board uninstaller is the second step of action when using REVO. Creating a restore point is number one. REVO itself is third and beyond.

DA

o

If lazy I 'Probably would delete the programs folder from both the program files folder & ProgramData folder.

Then run PTlite & ccleaner registery cleaners before making sure I had the right logitech program & re-installing.

o

I thought of the delete concept too Mikie. I was hesitant to direct someone else as I did not know there comfort zone as to user ability. Some could successfully delete direct from the HD this time , and opt to do it again in another concern where the bottom could fall out.

It wouldn't be lazy. The thought is a prudent idea and a viable option.

I too run CC after using REVO. REVO is an excellent resource. However, I would say 5% of the time CC locates an entry or two of flotsam.

DA

o

Well, folks I must say I've learned quite bit just by reading these posts. But, this one raises a question. When getting rid of a program is it alright to just delete thru windows explorer ..... or not? Wouldn't a simple delete leave bits 'n pieces of the target program? Not disputing anything you experts have to say, just ask'n for my own clarification.

o

Really should use the uninstaller & a reboot before deleting left over files & folders.

When you install a program, most will write data to the registry.. the programs configurations. Which might include some items that run at startup. If you leave the registry items by deleting just folders rather than runing its unistaller - which will delete most registry items,, you may or may not discover at start up or at other times, errors when the registry tries to access some file you deleted. And with some programs, it might be a major error.

o

Listen to Mikie Please.

The concept of deleting directly from the drive is a viable option, but only after everything else is tried and the user has their fingers crossed. A topical application which is independent and runs via Windows could very well be successful in direct deleting, i.e. TaxAct. An application which is integrated with and configured with Windows could be a disaster with direct deleting, i.e. WinAmp.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here