Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fax machine

Posted by brownthumbia (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 13:25

Some time back I was thinking of getting a fax machine but someone said you could use your computer for doing the same thing. How do you do it with the computer? Thanks BT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fax machine

Some windows sort of have fax built in... type Fax into your search box in win7 you might open a window like this... plug in a telephone wire into my laptop and use the internal dial up fax modem to send a fax, for the price of a phone call.

or you search yahoo for it.. there are online companies that do it. You can buy a fax machine pretty cheap too. But Fax is kind of a old fashioned deal .. when email is so simple.

What version of windows do you have.

o

If your computer has a fax modem you could fax a document directly from the computer, but most computers today don't come with them. I bought a printer which will print/copy/scan/fax, and it works pretty well. Mine is a HP Officejet 4500 and it comes with Windows software which simplifies the process somewhat. Probably has Mac software too but I don't know that for certain. Installing the PRINTER also installs a FAX PRINTER. When you want to fax a document, you scan it into the computer, then print it using the FAX PRINTER instead of the PRINTER and the fax software will start. Then you enter the fax phone number and away you go.

All of this depends on you having a plain old landline phone which is NOT VOIP...if you are using Vonage or phone service from your cable company I think you are out of luck. Fax usually does not work well over VOIP. HTH.

o

If your computer has a fax modem you could fax a document directly from the computer, but most computers today don't come with them. I bought a printer which will print/copy/scan/fax, and it works pretty well. Mine is a HP Officejet 4500 and it comes with Windows software which simplifies the process somewhat. Probably has Mac software too but I don't know that for certain. Installing the PRINTER also installs a FAX PRINTER. When you want to fax a document, you scan it into the computer, then print it using the FAX PRINTER instead of the PRINTER and the fax software will start. Then you enter the fax phone number and away you go.

All of this depends on you having a plain old landline phone which is NOT VOIP...if you are using Vonage or phone service from your cable company I think you are out of luck. Fax usually does not work well over VOIP. HTH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here