SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

Backing up my files

stir_fryi SE Mich
11 years ago

I am using Windows 7. I want to back up my My Documents folder and my My Pictures folder. Both have many sub-folders.

I tried doing it through Control Panel, Backup Your Computer -- I configured it to "backup files in libraries and personal folders". Anyhow, it was taking forever, kept asking me insert another CD, and was copying everything from C:\owner on. Don't really care to backup my desktop settings, downloads, contacts, etc... -- just My Documents and My Pictures.

Anyhow, so instead, I went to explorer and selected all the My Documents files and burned them to a CD. Fine, except it did not keep the directory structure.

What is the best way to do this? BTW, everything in My Documents did fit in a CD. All of my pictures do not so I was thinking of using a flashdrive for this.

In the future, I am thinking I should by an external hard drive and back up using the Windows backup function (c:\owner).

Appreciate any help. My last PC was a laptop that quit booting up one day so I really want to prepared if something happens.

Comments (12)