Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to be sure I have latest Windows Updates

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 12:07

I have my Automatic Updates set for me to download when I see the yellow armor icon next to my clock. I clicked on that just now, the screen came up showing the updates, and then I did something and the screen disappeared. I did a re-boot and the icon was there again but only showed one update, suggesting the others were installed?

When I follow Microsoft instructions for "How to tell if my computer is up to date?" via Start, All Programs, Windows Update, I get this message

"The website uses ActiveX controls to determine which version of the software your computer is running. If you see an ActiveX warning, make sure the control is digitally signed by Microsoft before installing it or allowing it to run.............do you want to install this software?"

Not sure I should install this. Why is it so difficult to check this out!! Frustrated as you can tell.

Thanks
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to be sure I have latest Windows Updates

What version of windows....

Most versions of windows you can go to control panel, and see an icon for Windows Updates. Somewhere in the window that opens will be a link to view installed updates, you will see time and dates installed ... and also a link to check for new updates in that window,, which I press that thing everytime I'm there.

Windows updates if set up normal will download but not install until near 3 am or sometime in the dark hours,,,, or after that time,, at the next restart.

I don't recall a Microsoft update ever asking for approval for activeX. But if you are sure its from a Microsoft website.. I see no problem approving it.

o

Sorry - Windows XP

I can't find the updates via the control panel but I do see older updates under "Add Remove". There are no updates there since October.

I guess my question now is where do I go to get the updates they sent out today? I did go on the MS website but did not find what I needed, at least not quickly.

Thanks
Ginny

o

updates officially came out Tuesday at 10pm Microsofts west coast time.
Some computers don't get the downloads until the following day for some regions.

windowsupdate.microsoft.com used to have a check for updates scan.. or maybe it was plural..
windowsupdates.microsoft.com

XP is getting some age to it.. if you have young people around loading games.. be sure to do frequent virus scans.

o

As I recall, in windows xp you could click start > all programs and find Windows Update somewhere near the top of the list that comes up. you could click on that and it would look for updates for your computer. I haven't looked but today's updates may have all been for Windows 7 or Windows 8.

o

just as bob mentioned you click start> all programs and at the top you click on windows updates, it takes you to the windows update site. It will scan your pc for what updates it needs, you will then be asked if you want custom or express, with custom you can read about each update prior to install this is how I always did it but express will just automatically install all critical updates. Either is fine, then it will install the selected updates. on that same page over on the left side I believe is a link for viewing your installed updates.
Anytime your computer is scanned for windows updates it will find any that may have been accidentally missed like you think may have happened and they will be re offered as long as it is a critical update.

o

I had a friend come by and after installing the Active X all the updates from today were installed. I'm not sure how he did it, but it's done and I've once again set them updates to be downloaded and installed automatically.

I know XP is getting old.

Thanks for your help.

Ginny

o

hi, i would advise you to disable the automatic updates completely and manage the updates via wuinstall (http://wuinstall.com). for me that is the easiest and fastest way to check if my computer is up to date or if there are new updates available.
regards

o

The only problem with the automatic install is that if there are multiple updates(sometimes 15 or more), then there is a problem with an update causing problems and trying to find out which one. If you select the option "Notify me and let me choose" or something like that, then you can load them by 3 or 5 at a time..then if there is a problem, much easier to find out which one..The other thing is that there may be an auto update to eg: Internet Explorer 9..maybe you dont want that..if on auto..you dont get to choose

o

Hi, I would advise you to ignore the post by lukas123. He/she joined Gardenweb today to impart his/her wisdom. Spam? Very likely

o

Yes, trying to sell you something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here