Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Domain Name Expired

Posted by margaretoh (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 11:37

My husband created a website for my church about 10 years ago. The domain name was from Network Solutions. Husband Joe died five years ago and evidently the domain name is buried with him. At least for purposes of the church. Another person took over the maintenance of the site. As of 11-11-12 the domain name has expired and the site is no longer online. I do not have a record of his password. Is there any way that the church can get this name back? Thanks. From what I've read online, I'm not thinking positively!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Domain Name Expired

I don't know enough about these things to be of much help, but until someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I might suggest going to the Network Solutions site (or some other registrar like Namecheap.com) and searching for the site name (without the '.com' or '.net' ending) and see if it's available. If so, you can simply re-purchase it.

If not, you may be able to do a "whois" search and see if someone else has purchased it in the amount of time it was expired. If so, you may be out of luck. :-(

o

I would type the address in trying to access the site, this would/should either bring up who (if anyone) has the domain name now or an offer to register it. Do not register there (I would not at least) but go to whoever was hosting the site (Network Solutions?) and ask questions and explain the situation. Should be a fairly straightforward and easy solution. You want the site registered and updated, they want the revenue.

o

Thank you Not2 and owbist. I have done those things, learned some things and sent on the information. At least it does sound hopeful now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here