Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LibreOffice

Posted by esteban_2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 10:29

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
I have switched to LibreOffice 3.6. I can no longer open .xls and .docs files sent from a computer with MS Office. What can I do to open those types of documents?
Thanks to all,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LibreOffice

What happens when you try to open the file...is there an error message?

o

Open them with libre office and save them as .xl or .doc files to open them with older versions of office. Or it may be easier to install the Compatibility Pack.

o

azinoh, I should have included this message in my first post. "Fatal Error During Installation"

bob, Thanks for the suggestion, but I am trying to get away from Office, if that is possible.
Thanks to both,
Steve

o

It sounds like you had a bad install of libre, I think I would remove it and redownload it and reinstall.

There's also open office which I have used for years with excellent results.

o

It sounds like you had a bad install of libre, I think I would remove it and redownload it and reinstall.

There's also open office which I have used for years with excellent results.

o

Sorry, I misread your post. The files were sent with MS Office. You weren't trying to open them with MS Office. I agree with ravencajun. Try a reinstall.

o

RC & Bob,
Thanks for the reply's.
I am sorta, meybee dissapointed with LibreOffice. It takes a very long time to load each time I look at my calender or any other document. This may be the perfect time to change programs...again. The next one on my list will be Openoffice.
Now, a loaded question for you two: Can I just delete LibreOffice 3.6 and install OpenOffice without loosing all the doccuments I have on the desktop and My Doc's???
Steve

o

You should uninstall it through the control panel add/remove option. It should not do anything with your documents.

o

RC & Bob,
What a painless switchover. I now have Apache Open Office.
FWI LibraOffice with Help 565,000 MB
MS Office Pro 2003 366.00 MB
Apache Open Office 314.00 MB
As you can see, I saved a lot of disk space.
Once again, thanks for your help.
Steve

o

I have taken most of your holiday...please allow me one more question.
I have a letter in my INBOX (Outlook Express) that has an .XLS attatchment. I can get the text from the letter just fine, when I click on the attatchment, I get this message. "The operating System is not presently configured to run this application" The sender told me it was a membership list, which probably includes names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses. I am using X-P SP3.
Any and all suggestions welcome.
Steve

o

Have you tried saving it to the pc then open it using open office, it should open it.

And you are welcome, glad to help.

o

Well, I clicked on SAVE AS and it went to MY DOC's. I was still unable to open it from there. Same error message as before.
I e-mailed it to friend, she could open it (She uses MS Office)but could not send it back opened.
Steve

o

Steve check out the answer here. Hopefully that will cure the issue for you.

o

Owbist,
I followed the link and now everything works great!
Thanks much for your help.
This is truly a great group of people.
Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here