Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desperate need of help. Laptop has Fatal Sys Error

Posted by debi_2006 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 10:21

Went to start Gateway XP laptop (5 yrs old but was working great till this morning) this morning and black screen came up with scrolling bar with Microsoft Windows words under bar. Desktop would not come up. Rebooted. then got Fatal Sys Erro 0x00000000 (0xC0000221, 0x00100440). The system has been shut down.

Tried to reboot in safe mode by hitting F8. Safe mode started loading windows files....by got hung up. Said "please wait", but nothing else happened.

This is my work computer (I work from home) and looking for some kind of instruction on what to do next. I'm typing this from a very old slow desktop, so at least I have some kind of communication.

PS: No new programs have been installed except WinPatrol 2 weeks ago.

Anyone have advice? Help. Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desperate need of help. Laptop has Fatal Sys Error

Try starting in safe mode but select Start in last known good configuration or words similar to that.

Failing that click to start in safe mode and select command prompt then if successful type sfc /scannow noting ths space after sfc and the use of double 'n'

o

Correction. This laptop has Vista.

o

I clicked on "last known config". Now I have the black screen with the scrolling bar with MS Corp under the bar. Nothing else is happening except the bar keeps scrolling.

o

After several minutes of the scrolling bar, finally the "checking file system on C" (CHKDSK) finished verifying. Now the bar has been scrolling for 10 minutes...

o

Debbie do you have your data backed up?

You might go here and follow the instructions for a repair install of your Vista program. This should then check the Windows installation correcting any problems.

If that does not cure it then perhaps read the other 2 articles linked below those instructions.

o

So, now I'm in major panic mode.

I let the scrolling bar go and it ran through CHKDSK twice, now I have the blue screen with fatal sys error c000021a. The inital session process or sys process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0xc0000221, 0x00100440). The sys has been shut down.

Owist. I just look thru my thumb drives for backups and found one from June (not sure how thorough it is). I know I've backed up my files several times since then...latest 2 months ago I think, but I don't see them. Unfortunately, my Quickbooks, which is most important, which I know I backed up after reconciling last statement (Sept) is not appearing.
My bad.

o

OK so if you shut down entirely (not restart) and start up again how far along can you go?

If you can get to where the safe mode offers options try the last known or I think Vista has a repair option in that list too.

o

I'm able to get to Windows Error Recovery. I saw an option for "repair your computer" before it went to black and scrolling bar which is where it is not. Should I reboot to safe mode and click on repair computer or something else?

Thx for your help.

o

I'd like to try to recovery my files (somehow) before the last resort of re-installing the Op sys which I do have a disc.

o

Of course you want to save the data. Did you try the link in my 11.11 post? Take note of the shut down suggestion in the later post too, that can improve things at times.

o

If I insert the Operating sys disk to repair issues, will it erase all my files?

o

debi this forum I am going to link to is the best on the internet for helping with blue screens and that type of problem the team here is wonderful. Start a post in the area I link to and tell what is happening with your system.

Forum: BSOD, Crashes, Kernel Debugging

o

No, not if you follow those instructions in the link.

I understand your fear on that point, I had lived that experience. This was why I asked about data back up, to raise your awareness of that situation.

If you opt to re-install then yes, everything gets wiped off but there will be a warning before it happens and you will be required to agree to proceed.

If the exercise so far has got you flustered or frustrated then walk away untill you feel calmer. We need cool and calm and you will do just fine. Remember to worry about just one question or action at a time as you proceed.

o

The startup repair only took a few minutes to finish. Found one issue (not sure what it was). Said successfully fixed. I kept the startup disc in drive and rebooted. I did not "hit any key" to start the disk, but rather, wanted to see if it would start normally (without using disk). The scrolling bar scrolled for 8-10 minutes, then a dark screen for 5+ minutes. I now have a blue screen with the same C000021a fatal error.

Raven, thanks. I registered, by don't see anywhere to "add post".

Owbist....THANKS SO MUCH, but it appears it didn't fix anything unless I did something wrong.

o

Start your Own thread in the area I linked to that is the correct place for your problem.

o

Raven, I'm aware that I have to start my own thread in the link you provided, but there isn't a place that I can find to "start my own thread".

o

Ran another repair and it said the root cause found is "System volume on disk is corrupt".

o

OK so if you can get to the options in safe mode select the command prompt then type sfc /scannow noting the space after sfc and the double 'n' and hit Enter.

The computer will use the System File Checker (sfc) to look for and replace corrupt files. You may be asked to insert the CD with Vista on it depending on the search

o

Sysnative Forums FAQ

you will always have a link at the top of the blog sidebar titled "Add new Post". This link allows you to post entries immediately, entries that will post automatically at a future date, or create a draft entry for later review and posting.

o

Hi, Debi.

Ravencajun pointed me to your problems since I am an Admin at Sysnative.com (the forum she pointed you to for help).

Regarding System Repair, it often needs to run three times in order to complete the repair. The first time you run it, it attempts to repair any system level corruption via SFC /SCANNOW (this is also why sfc /scannow cannot be run directly and has to be run offline if a startup repair is still pending). The second time it runs, it checks the hard disk for bad sectors and a corrupted file system. This is usually the longer of the three runs. The third time it runs, it tries to use a system restore point to replace a possibly damaged registry. Generally it is at least the second or third run that it also runs the bootrec.exe tools.

As to posting at Sysnative in the BSOD help forum, have you registered there, perhaps as DKK?

The first thing you'll need to do is prepare the reports needed to analyze what is causing the BSOD's. The instructions are in the topic linked below.

After that is completed, as Ravencajun said,there is an "Add new Post" link. After you explain what is happening, further down you'll see "Manage attachments" so you can easily browse to and attach the requested information.

Here is a link that might be useful: BSOD Posting Instructions

o

Owist, from safe mode and the command prompt you indicate, it starts to load files then gets hung up only to give a blue screen w/ the original fatal sys error shown in orig post. Can't seem to get to a prompt to key in snannow text.

Corrine, thx. Will try running sys repair once more. Took it to a computer store and they couldn't find a restore point though I just did one less than 2 weeks ago. I didn't feel comfy leaving puter with them, ESP since all my financial pas swords r on the drive. Never been to them and didn't get good vibe. sorry for tyypos, using a small tablet.

o

As I posted, Debi, you may need to run System Repair two more times. Hopefully that will be enough to repair the system so you can back up your Quickbooks.

o

Corrine, it says I do not have privledges to post. I am DKK.

o

Yes, I've run it twice, repair guy ran once, and I'm running it now to attempt repairs. These runs where done in the past 4 hours or so trying to figure this out. Not all exactly back-to-back, one right after another, but close.

o

Ran sys repair again and took a lot longer. Got a message saying startup repair can not repair this computer automatically.

I'm at an "Administration: x:\windows/system32\cmd.exe prompt. The command prompt is X:\Sources>

Wondering if I can do the scannow here?

o

At the X:\Sources> I tried sfc \scannow. Got a bunch of text that tells me that it scans the integrity of all protected sys files, but didn't do anything more. At the bottom of all text it says:

sfc /scannow
sfc /verifyfile+c:\windows\system32\kerne132.dll
sfc /scanfile=d:\windows\systems32\kerne132.dll/OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ / OFFWINDIR=d:\windows
sfc /verifyonly

Not sure if that means anything.

o

Hi, Debi. I'm glad you were able to get your thread started. See the reply in your thread at Sysnative.

If you have any problems following the instructions, please be sure to ask in your thread for additional guidance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Debi's Topic at Sysnative

o

Will tackle the instructions this weekend. Looks complicated and nervous about not understanding instructions. Main concern is getting files off the computer. Looking for new laptop today.

o

Don't forget what writhziden said:

"post back as you proceed through that guide if you have any questions. Let us know after each step what the results were so we can decide whether to provide further steps."

You're not alone.

o

fwiw
I've run startup repair on win7 a few times. It needs to be run back to back without trying to boot into windows, or it looses count and runs the same first run repair process each time.

With my laptop, when startup repair finishes and restarts the computer, then I have to push my boot from cd key quickly again or its lost that ability to count.
It would tell you in the reports run once, 2x or 3x.
First run is I dont remb, 30 or 40 minutes for win7.
Second run is maybe just 2 minutes.
Third run would be the same quick, or slighly quicker than 2nd run.

And it aways says something about 'startup repair can not repair this computer automatically' I assume it says this because nothing was wrong. I just wanted my partition tables/names microsoft style after using a 3rd party tool to resize partitions.

o

Mikie, thanks for making that clear regarding they need to be three back-to-back repairs. I wasn't hitting the push to boot from cd key since I thought the computer needed to "see" if it would open Windows normally, which it never did.

Corrine, I haven't done anything yet other than buy a new laptop (crashed one is 5+ yrs old so I was due anyway). With the help of tech person, was able to get files off the crashed system and on to the new one, but have not tried to troubleshoot the old yet. As mentioned to Mikie, after I get this new laptop settled with my business stuff, I will put the time in to trying the "repair" three consecutive time and will report back.

o

If it were me and I had removed all my data from the old computer I would forget the repair and wipe the drive returning the computer to factory settings. All broken links and corrupt files are then wiped off and everything is squeaky clean. This would be after I had got the new computer running as I wanted it of course and had time to play.

That is assuming you have a recovery partition or recovery DVD to work with.

o

Yes Owist..I was actually thinking the same thing after typing my previous post. I do have a CD to work with. And, I had restore media created for this new computer since it didn't come with any.

Thanks everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here