Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fluctuations in wifi hot and dead spots

Posted by albert_135 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 8:34

We discovered an unsecuredwifi in our neighborhood. We can connect to it in early morning and in the evening. Even though the graph shows it as very weak it seems to work fine - when it works.

Just curious as we've no other interest, what might cause these fluctuations?

ed -[I started to use the new edit function to say " I am not a crook", then I remembered that the nations most famous crook used that expression.]

This post was edited by albert_135 on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 15:24

Just curious as we've no other interest, what might cause these fluctuations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fluctuations in wifi hot and dead spots

Maybe ??

Radio waves really really like dish reflectors...

When the sun rays hit the ionosphere atoms, those rays are releasing some of the electrons :)

Ionosphere is much more reflective at night.

o

Using a neighbor's wifi may be illegal, it's not a good idea. If your neighbor has internet access, can't you also purchase it from the provider for your own use?

Do you go fill water jugs from their hose at night?

o

Albert's last sentence:- Just curious as we've no other interest...........

There appears to be no suggestion he is stealing the signal, he came across it perhaps while checking his own wireless network. I have 2 unsecured wifi accounts somewhere close to me but as I have my own account they are of no consequence.

Albert appears curious and I like folks who ask questions. Atmospherics can play a large part in wireless signals, anyone who has dabbled in short wave knows the signal is significantly better at night. Why is that? When we had a 12 feet dish we had no signal in the spring and fall for a few minutes as the sun passed behind the satellite we were tuned to.

o

It could be a 3G wireless network. Mine is strongest in the morning and diminishes during the day as more users log on.

DA

o

How does one know if an available connection is public or an unsecured private connection?

I went to Starbucks and available connections were Starbucks, of course, but then there was Home Depot and a concrete contractors connection. How would I have known if Home Depot and the concrete contractors were public or private?

ed - [ Some say that private connections come with a dealt password and it takes a wee bit of effort to make them unprotected. Is that your experience?]

This post was edited by albert_135 on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 15:27

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here