Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Microsoft Works

Posted by cricketm (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 6:55

My husband has a new Dell Inspiron 570. Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, IE 9.0.

Our question is the following:

It came with Microsoft 2010 Excel Start and Microsoft 2010 Word Start.....it is awful.....I have Works Suite 2002 which came with from my Dell Desktop (XP)....I would like to remove the Microsoft 2010 Start from his computer and install Works Suite 2002....is this advisable?

Thanks for any information.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Microsoft Works

Assuming Works 2002 runs under Windows 7, why not?

o

I would install the works before removing the office starter. That way if the works doesn't install you still have the office starter - I would leave them both on if it were me. There's no conflict. There's nothing wrong with tje starter, you're just not used to it. When MS introduced the ribbon they now use is office it confused a lot of people. The word and excel starters are not full-functioned but the work very well and are all most people really need.

o

Thanks for your valuable comments....I appreciate it.

o

Another option is Open Office. It's completely free and quite powerful. It also "looks" like the older versions of Microsoft Office.

o

Mike_Kaiser....Should I uninstall Microsoft 2010 Start from my husbands computer first....??????

o

There is no conflict at all between the two. You can leave both on the computer or uninstall it before or after you try Open Office. If it were me I would leave it until I was sure I preferred the replacement.

o

OO is a very nice word processing application. Just be sure when you create a document you initially save it in the format you desire, i.e. Works or Word. If you don't the work product will be saved as a OO default format of .odp which won't be read by other applications.

DA

o

Thank you for this valuable information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here