Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Computer Noise

Posted by gabbygirl (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 9, 11 at 3:06

I hope that I can ask this so that it makes sense. When our desktop computer is idle,it randomly 'pops' through the speakers. It sounds like when you turn your computer off at the modem and then starts back up. It has started doing this constantly. Any guesses as to why it's doing that and how I can fix it?

I really hope this makes some sense, because the only 3 things that I can definitely identify on a computer, are the keyboard, mouse and screen. So I'm guessing about the modem. I just know I have to turn the computer off there, if I can't reboot from the button at the bottom.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!

`gabby`

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Computer Noise

When you first start the computer there should be a single beep within a few seconds. Do you hear that beep and is this other sound similar?

Is there any pattern to these pops?
Do they come singly or numerous pops each time?

When you turn off at the modem what do you do? The modem is the box provided by your internet service and simply brings in the signal from outside so it is unlikely you are shutting down using that. Or are you removing the power plug from a power bar?

Is this XP, Vista or Windows 7?

With the computer off get behind it and make sure all you cables are firmly plugged in

o
RE: Computer Noise.

owbist, I wrote you a couple of times, but I'm not sure you got any of them.Thanks for your help.

I'm trying to answer all of your questions now.

I do have Windows 7 but have only had it a couple of months. And I've had several problems since then, but some were only from getting the newest version of yahoo email. I was blaming all that on Windows.

This noise happens when I shut down the computer. The same place where it asks if you want to shut down or re start. Sometimes my computer ( pre windows 7) will completely get stuck. When that happens, I try ctrl, alt, delete, but that also gets stuck and I have to turn the computer off from the modem. By that I mean I hold in a silver button until it shuts down. I then give it a few minutes and turn the computer back on, again holding in the button until it turns on.

Only when I'm not at the computer it makes the same thump type sound that I hear when I turn the computer off. It happens about every 4 to 6 minutes. I made notes today so that I'd know more.

My computer works fine when I am using it. Just the noise when I'm away. It just sounds like it's shutting down, even though it's not.

I know that I'm rambling and not making any sense, but I hope someone knows what the problem is.

All cables are firmly plugged in, I forgot to tell you that.

thanks,
gabby

o

Gabby if I understand you correctly you have upgraded your computer to Windows 7. Correct?

Look down in the right corner near the clock and you might see a triangular pennant style white flag. Hover your mouse over it and read the small pop up. If there are issues this will tell you and you can click on the flag bringing up a window that will offer assistance.

Do you use Outlook for your email? If so do you use the calendar to list appointments etc? I ask because when those reminders become relevant a small window pops up along with a noise, could this be the sound?

Do you have any software that might keep attempting to go online looking for automatic updates and failing? This would create a 'thunk'.

What safety programs do you have installed?

Try this. Click Start
click Control panel
In the first block of choices under 'System and Security' click on 'Find and Fix problems' and follow the instructions. Let us know what happens when you do this.

o

Gabby if I understand you correctly you have upgraded your computer to Windows 7. Correct? YES

Look down in the right corner near the clock and you might see a triangular pennant style white flag. Hover your mouse over it and read the small pop up. If there are issues this will tell you and you can click on the flag bringing up a window that will offer assistance. DID THAT

Do you use Outlook for your email? NO If so do you use the calendar to list appointments etc? I ask because when those reminders become relevant a small window pops up along with a noise, could this be the sound? NO

Do you have any software that might keep attempting to go online looking for automatic updates and failing? This would create a 'thunk'.
DH THOUGHT THIS WAS THE PROBLEM, MISSING MODEM DRIVER, DISABLED MODEM

What safety programs do you have installed? MSE & WINDOWS FIREWALL,AT&T ROUTER also HAS FIREWALL

Try this. Click Start
click Control panel
In the first block of choices under 'System and Security' click on 'Find and Fix problems' and follow the instructions. Let us know what happens when you do this. THIS also SHOWED THE MISSING MODEM DRIVER.

My dh assumes that I understand your questions but I don't and I forgot to ask them about the last paragraph. He's gone or I would ask him. He did answer your other questions.

My questions to you, Under first block of choices after I click on control panel, I didn't have the choice System and Security or the Find the Fix problems What did he probably look under and what's the other terms?

I tried to write my answers in bold or highlight them, but of couse I couldn't.

I hope this answered your questions, didn't mean to shout,lol.

Thanks, gabby

o

OK, so we really don't care too much if the modem driver is missing. obviously you are not intending to use the fax machine feature like most of us these days.

Gabby wrote My questions to you, Under first block of choices after I click on control panel, I didn't have the choice System and Security or the Find the Fix problems What did he probably look under and what's the other terms?

Try clicking Start and just above the start button should be a small space to write where it says Search Programs and files, try typing Find and fix problems and a few choices appear, see if any of those will turn up anything.

What version of Windows 7 do you have?

Have a look at the Event viewer.
Click Start and in that same search window type 'Event viewer' without the quotes.
In the new window see if there are any entries under the 'Critical' heading, if so click the plus sign beside critical or in the right pane click to 'View all instances'. Any critical event can be viewed by double clicking on it, the new window will offer some help plus a web site link to more detailed help.

Don't worry about the shouting, I got your drift.

o

The only thing I do on the computer is to go to forums,shop,email,etc. I'm fax free.

The only answer that I have for you now is, we have Windows 7 Home Premium. Hope that helps.

On your following instructions, if I can find any of those answers, is that a step in trying to fix my problem? Or was that just telling me what I had asked earlier for my benefit?

I'll try what you said later. LOL, I can just comprehend a little at a time,lol.

I would answer in bold, italics, etc. but that option disappears when I leave email. Is it supposed to do that?

Gabby wrote My questions to you, Under first block of choices after I click on control panel, I didn't have the choice System and Security or the Find the Fix problems What did he probably look under and what's the other terms?

Try clicking Start and just above the start button should be a small space to write where it says Search Programs and files, try typing Find and fix problems and a few choices appear, see if any of those will turn up anything.

What version of Windows 7 do you have?

Have a look at the Event viewer.
Click Start and in that same search window type 'Event viewer' without the quotes.
In the new window see if there are any entries under the 'Critical' heading, if so click the plus sign beside critical or in the right pane click to 'View all instances'. Any critical event can be viewed by double clicking on it, the new window will offer some help plus a web site link to more detailed help.

Thanks!! gabby

o

Gabby wrote:- On your following instructions, if I can find any of those answers, is that a step in trying to fix my problem? Or was that just telling me what I had asked earlier for my benefit?

Both, we are trying to find something elusive with no clear clues other than it happens every 4 to 6 minutes. Without you trying the things mentioned and reporting back here no one can really add any more helpful comments. You have noticed I am the only one commenting - suggesting others really have no helpful ideas to pass along at this time. Given clues they may jump right in here with overwhelming support and solve your problem ;~)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here