SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkspigs

Boy do I need some help!

pkspigs
14 years ago

I don't remember what I was doing on the computer,but all of a sudden a security tool web page popped up. I cannot remove it. It is NOt on all programs. I cannot open help and support to do a "go back". When I click the X on the program, my whole screen is blue and all my icons are missing. I restarted my computer and it is still the same thing There are two icons on my tool bar than I cannot open when left clicking and I cannot exit them. What in the world is going on. They want me to buy this program and there is nothing I can do that I know of to get this mess off my computer. Please help me as I am a novice when it comes to things like this. Regards, Patricia K.

Comments (22)

• owbist
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK Patricia let's start with what you have not old us.
    What operating system?
    What anti virus, and is it working now?
    What firewall and is it working now?
    What anti malware programs do you use, when were any of them last updated and the last scan done?

Probably the anti virus and firewall have been disabled by the Trojans or whatever has taken control of your computer. Do you have a thumb drive or other external type storage? If so you might use a different computer and download the free Avast and Malwarebytes. Be sure to stay on the free links. Then go here and download the latest Malwarebytes definitions.

Install both programs and update Malwarebytes and run them.

Hopefully you have most of your personal data backed up.

• azinoh
    14 years ago

One thing you could try is to use another computer (not the infected one) to download an antivirus program that would be burned onto a CD. You would then boot from this CD, not the infected computer's hard drive. Hopefully, you could then clean the infection. You would have to download a .iso file (an image), and you'd then need software that will "burn the image", not just copy file, onto a CD. Then when you boot the infected machine, bring up the boot menu before it goes into Windows (usually by pressing F12), insert the CD and tell it to boot the CD instead of the hard drive. Then, follow instructions.

The site below is only one suggestion and I have used only one of the programs listed, which is the Antivir Rescue CD from Avira. I have Avira running on two machines and so far it has found and cleaned every virus it encountered. You could probably search and find other similar sites. If this method doesn't work for you, the alternatives I know of would be to either remove the hard drive and install it as a slave in another machine to clean it, or format the infected hard drive and reinstall Windows. Be advised my knowledge is limited, and I expect others will have useful suggestions. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Antivirus and Rescue CDs

• Related Discussions

I think I need to start a new post or start over

Q

Comments (14)
    If it turns out that you do not have a hard drive or other hardware problem, there is something else to consider. Taking the machine to someone and paying them to figure out and fix your problem may not be cheap or quick. If your machine is capable of running Win 7, maybe your $ would be better spent to upgrade to that...unless you are trying to save files that you absolutely cannot afford to lose. Even if you fix the machine without doing this, you have to identify how and why this infection occurred in the first place. If you do not do this, then all your time-effort-money will be wasted because you will repeat the same errors and will certainly become infected again. Do you have any idea how this happened? Did you download any free toolbars-games-screensavers? Did you open an email attachment without scanning it? Do you normally click on unfamiliar links (especially on Facebook or MySpace) without checking them out first? If you did any such thing, you have to STOP until you learn more about how to keep yourself and your machine safe.
    ...See More

I need some help with a project I'm doing.

Q

Comments (7)
    Roobear .. thanks for offering to do a PS visual for me, that's super nice of you! I've been contemplating removing the chair rail, the only thing that's stopping me is I know they were not only nailed, but liquid nailed to the wall. I think the damage that would occur would warrant new sheetrock in the room. I wish it wasn't put up so zealously. *LOL* Suero .. I agree the frames should be kept brown to go with the sepia pictures. Newhomebuilder .. Thanks for posting the pic, I did get it to work. Your bookcases look great, I like how they are trimmed on the top and above the mantel .. very pretty! On a positive note .. it looks like we can pick up 500 board foot of beadboard on Monday!! :D I'm really happy about this. It means that ceiling will get redone with beadboard, the living room ceiling will get redone and we can build the new bookcases to abut the mantel in the family room. While I was out this after noon I stopped by my favorite consignment shop and found two great end tables for this room and she was willing to let the set go for $75. Next on the list I need to figure out what to use as a center light for the room and whether I want to put sconces above the fireplace.
    ...See More

Boy could I use some help :)

Q

Comments (4)
    Voted for him. Maire Cate, you can sign in with your Google or Yahoo! ID, but the AMC site makes you join it and share your info to vote. I hate that.
    ...See More

Oh boy... need some elevation help!

Q

Comments (29)
    clarified. the outer walli 6ft, my bad. We have been in a house with this plan and it was fine for us and even our contractor who is 6'5". Milly - there is a maximum sq ft on these city lots. Our total build allowable should be 2772sq ft for the whole house. Because of this cheat, we gain an additional 130 sqft. - and we can show it for resale. Our decision to do it was based on going through the other house with this roofline and really wanting the additional sq feet so that the bedrooms aren't super tiny. It is easy to put headboards against a lower wall. John - It has nothing to do with taxes, they are the same regardless. Too high! :) And the mechanical stuff is in the architects drawings, not the designers - they are there! The architect and designer talked yesterday and they are working on something together, i don't think it will be any of my windows or the neat idea from PPF, but i will post it when they get it to me.
    ...See More
  • grandms
    14 years ago

pkspigs, I would suggest you not use this computer until after you have tried owbist's suggestions. For a novice, which you said you are, I'm afraid azinoh's instructions may be somewhat difficult (no criticism intended, azinoh). If, after you have done what owbist suggested, the problem is still here, wait until either ravencajun or zep get on here, and one or the other of them can give you instructions for going to a help site where they can help you clean up your computer. Don't panic! Help will be coming.

• azinoh
    14 years ago

No criticism taken, grandms. However, if the OP is going to fix the problem she's going to be less of a novice at the end. That requires some learning, and there's no time like the present. In fact, I agree with the suggestions made by owbist and I was only suggesting one possible alternative. It would be helpful to have the use of another computer to fix this problem. If she can get Avast and Malwarebytes installed (might be difficult if the machine is already infected), she should run them in safe mode.

If any other novices read this, this is a perfect example of why you should have a plan in place that you know how to use to recover from this type of trouble. This is especially true if you don't have easy access to another computer. It's a lot easier to fix a problem if you already have some tools at hand, instead of having to go out and look for help with a machine that is already compromised.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

this unfortunately sounds like one of the dreaded fake antivirus variants, which can be extremely invasive and difficult, lets see what we can get accomplished, hopefully it can be cleaned and not require a re-format.
    please do try to get malwarebytes loaded updated and run if you can and please post the log of what it finds so we know what exactly it is we are dealing with. This should help you with how to install and use malwarebytes
    How to download and install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware application for Windows computers
    follow the links on that page to the rest of the tutorial. Be sure you run the FULL scan rather than the quick scan!

If you can not do this then go to this link and post at the other forum I am at and we can try to help you step by step there. You will need to register there and then post a thread in the area I will link you to. If you need me to start the thread for you I will be happy to just let me know.
    Analysis and Malware Removal

If you are able to get malwarebytes to run please post that info over at LzD in your thread.

Here are the regular directions for malwarebytes
    * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    * Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
    * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location. The log can also be found here: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
    * Please post contents of that file in your next reply.

• pkspigs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the tips. I started the computer in "safe-mode", I then got all the icons up on the screen. I could not open malwarebytes, so I reinstalled it. I then ran malawarebytes full scan. I then had the infected files put away and then did a restart, since I could not do a go-back. everyting was normal when i did a restart. thanks again, Patricia K, in La.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

what do you mean you had malwarebytes put them away did you tell it to remove them like in the directions?
    I need to see the log from your malwarebytes please get the log as per the directions and post it here. I am quite sure that you are not fully clean so there is more yet to do.

• azinoh
    14 years ago

I am very glad to hear that Malwarebytes was helpful to you. It would still be a good idea to make sure your antivirus software is up-to-date and use it in safe-mode to run a complete scan. Try to get in the habit of making sure your antivirus and anti-malware programs are up-to-date. Do it manually at least once a week if you can. Weekly scans is not a bad idea either.

• owbist
    14 years ago

Besides Azinoh's suggestion of running a full anti virus scan in safe mode you should also re-run Malwarebytes but NOT in safe mode. Malwarebytes is designed to run with the computer in normal mode.

Hopefully then you wil be free of all pests

• pkspigs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Raven, I told Malawarebytes to remove the thing. I don't know how to post the log here, regards, P.K.

• azinoh
    14 years ago

Owbist, I am interested in knowing why Malwarebytes should not be run in safe mode. I have done so several times and have not encountered any problems doing so. Why is this so?

• padd_y
    14 years ago

Patricia K. I suspect youre not fully clean.. Please do what RC has suggested..
    Head over to LS. forum we can walk you through the Log-File posting instructions.

I canÂt make you go there its always a users choice as to what they do so itÂs up to you how you proceed.

Paddy..

• owbist
    14 years ago

Azinoh, here is a thread at the Malwarebytes forum. The first reply is from the Malwarebytes team.

They do not suggest you will encounter any problem, however the best benefit is using it with Windows running normally.

Strangely there are no such recommendations either on their web site or installed with the program itself. Not even a FAQ, seems odd

• pkspigs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I still do not understand what you all want me to do, as I said I am a complete novice with computers. Please explain what the LS forum is and how to post the latest log on malawarebytes. P.K.

• owbist
    14 years ago

Patricia, you and many others are in need of help occasionally. That is why those who offer help do so, to aid you in becoming more comfortable around your own computer. The entire concept of Gardenweb is so that those who know can help those who wish to know. Help can only be good if the person with the problems gives full details initially then takes the time to answer any questions asked or to note what happened after following any advice offered.

In my reply to your request early Thursday for help I asked 4 questions and deliberately placed each question on a separate line so each was very visible. There was a reason for this, myself and/or others might well assess the amount of damage done on your computer using the answers you have not provided.

After you reported doing a scan Friday afternoon Azinoh came back with a very valid suggestion, there has been no reply saying this has been completed successfully or otherwise.

This post is in no way intended to be harsh or to give you a bad time. It is however written to point out things you have failed to do in your quest to get the computer fixed.

As regards going to another site, that is your choice entirely.

I would suggest you see these computer problems as serious enough to back up any data you do not wish to lose. If there is a next time you may not be so lucky and may ave to wipe the drive losing everything.

• pkspigs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Owbist: Let me see if I can answer most of your questions. Belive me, I DO appreciate your help. I am running windows Xp. I have Avast and Malwarebytes installed. I run windows firewall. I do have an external backup. I have not run into any problems since I ran it in safe mode and deleted everything with malware bytes. i don't know what else to do. Pregards, P.K.

• owbist
    14 years ago

OK. Brilliant, now we know where you are.

When you do not need the computer for a while it would be good to run a full scan of both Avast and Malwarebytes just to set your mind at ease. Be aware the Avast scan may take a long time to do.

You might consider changing away from the Windows firewall because it is only a one way firewall in XP. It stops unwanted incoming problems but anything that piggybacks in on genuine downloads can report back to it's owners and you have no control over that. Zonealarm is the most popular free one, there are others and probably just as good.

If you go for a firewall watch carefully as you install because these days so many of them carry extras like toolbars you probably do not need. It is just a case of removing a check mark to avoid having these things installed. With Zonealarm they also suggest you load some scanner, I always refuse that personally. That is because I have never tried to understand it, my current safety net seems adequate.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

malwarebytes keeps a log that is what we need to see so we can tell what infection you had, even though it seems to you to be clean it is very likely still carrying parts of the infection, the type you described is hard to get rid of totally. To know what needs to be done next we need to see your malwarebytes log. Follow my directions and copy and paste the log here into your reply box.

Open your malwarebytes program along the top you will see some tabs one is called logs click that tab, there you will see the various logs that were created, click on the one from the date you ran it and cleaned the infection, click open on the bar at the bottom that will open that log in a new window, hilight every thing in that window and right click on it and choose copy then come here and in your reply box right click and choose paste that will put your log here in your reply, it is very simple to do. Another way to do it once you have the log open is to go to edit at the top of that new box and choose select all that will hilight the content of the log then right click on the blue highlighted area and choose copy, come here and right click and paste into the reply box.

• pkspigs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
    Database version: 3082
    Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Safe Mode)

11/26/2009 3:50:48 AM
    mbam-log-2009-11-26 (03-50-48).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
    Objects scanned: 106513
    Time elapsed: 18 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 9
    Registry Values Infected: 7
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 1
    Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ModuleUsage\C:/WINDOWS/Downloaded Program Files/popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\(c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1) (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\(e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca) (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\(fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe) (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\(df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a) (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\(df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a) (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\(df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a) (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\10331715 (Rogue.Multiple.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\13636423 (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\38017019 (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\37743428 (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\06495327 (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\54769940 (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\10331715 (Rogue.Multiple.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\10331715\10331715.exe (Rogue.Multiple.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\Security Tool.LNK (Rogue.SecurityTool) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.Thanks Raven, I hope this is what you need, PK, in S. La.

• owbist
    14 years ago

The scan looks clean. However you only did a quick scan rather than the full one and you did it in safe mode rather than normal mode.

• pkspigs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did one last night in full scan and normal mode,not safe mode and all it picked up was the Active X thing. thanks for all the help. I am a complete idiot for not knowing how to do the paste thing. Thanks for everything, PK

• owbist
    14 years ago

Aww, brilliant news. Thanks for reporting back.