Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
display driver problem

Posted by debrak_2008 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 21:51

I have a lenovo laptop that runs xp pro. I few days ago the resolution changed and I got a message saying the graphics driver wasn't working. After trying several times to update the driver, I reloaded xp pro. It worked for a few hours and now I get a message saying the display driver is not working "ati2dvag". I have been searching and can't find were I can update this driver. On the amd website I try to download it but it tells me it can't find my os.

Googling I see that lots of people have had this issue but can't find a fix.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: display driver problem

What's the model # of the Laptop? Lenovo xxxxxx

What's the name of the display adapter? As listed in device manager? We might be able to get from the ATI site since it appears to be an ATI adapter.

Have you visited Lenovo site to look for driver?

To enter device Manager in XP open the Run box copy this text in bold devmgmt.msc paste it into the run box and click ok. Once in there look under Display adapters and give us the entire name listed. While you're in there right click on it now choose uninstall. Reboot the computer. Windows will reinstall the driver for you. Sometimes this will resolve an issue or 2 but it may not.

o

I read a bit about it.. many say its an overheating problem. Hard to clean out the dust bunnies in a laptop.

o

Its an IBM thinkpad T30 2366. I went to the lenovo website but there were no display drivers listed that seemed relevent.

The display driver is ATI Mobility Radeon 7500.

Odd thing is .... I left the laptop on last night. This morning there was a message that a security update was installed and the laptop rebooted.

It's fine now. But its been ok before and then the resolution changed. So I'm not sure the issue is resolved.

o

ummmm video driver download page & instuctions at lenovo for your model...

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-41918

Here is a link that might be useful: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-41918

o

Every page at lenovo support was very very slow loading when i was there. I guess its a long wait to enter China, as they pound on your router trying to be sneaky looking for something.

o

I removed the driver then tried to download it from the lenovo website. It would not download, no message just a blank screen. I then restarted and it seems to be OK.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully the issue is solved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here