Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Win XP folder setting question

Posted by buyorsell888 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 21:42

I have folders of photos. When I view them from My Documents they show Thumbnail View which is what I want.

However, when I view them from a website where I am uploading such as eBay or Facebook they show as List view and I have to manually change to Thumbnail View every single time. It drives me crazy as I have hundreds of eBay and Amazon listings.

How do I make them stay on Thumbnail View?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Win XP folder setting question

I'm not sure how we can compare a folder view on the computer, to a view on a particular Web site, there are no folder options on a web site. I must be missing something here as I don't quite understand.....

o

What are the file extensions and typical file size,, that you save them as.. to the computer & that you upload to the websites ?

o

They are JPEGs, file size varies.

What I am asking about is when I am on a website and I'm going to post a photo from my hard drive. There is a Browse button and a window pops up and I choose the folder where the photos that I want are and open it. I then see list view of all the photos rather than thumbnails. I have to use the little menu to change from list to thumbnail adding an extra step every time. If I am listing items for sale on eBay I can do this twenty or more times in a sitting and it gets really tedious...it would cut my time down if when I opened the folder with the photos it opened in thumbnail view.

o

Read the link, and run the Fixit.

Here is a link that might be useful: support.microsoft

o

In my view, this has nothing to do with the current setting of the folder. On the contrary, it has everything to do with how the web site you are using chooses to display the contents of the folder when you tell it to browse the folder. I suppose you could complain to the site's webmaster and see if a solution is offered but I am not optimistic of a positive response. It sounds to me like you would benefit from having an image viewer running at the same time so you could more easily identify and select the images you want to upload.

o

this has nothing to do with the current setting of the folder.

Not so sure about that.

I was somewhat confused too until I read the last post, when the user goes back to the folder it's view has changed from his setting, probably because,

Note By default, Windows stores the view settings and the customizations for only 400 folders at the same time, after that windows will not remember his settings.

The Fixit should, well fix it, it's a value in the registry key that needs changed.

o

If the "Fixit" doesn't help, you might take a look at this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/force-opensave-dialogs-to-use-details-mode-in-windows-xp/

I haven't tried it, just found it by searching so... use your own judgement.

o

The Fixit didn't work. :( It "found" the problem that view settings did not save but it did not correct the problem.

It works fine when I am looking on my computer, it is only when uploading to websites that I have a problem but as I sell on Amazon and eBay and upload product photos daily it is annoying. At least it saves the last used folder and I don't have to go through the entire list but having it keep the thumbnail view would be very helpful. I'm not renaming thousands of photos....

I'm not sure about the little program chuggerguy posted. I don't want ALL of my folders to show Thumbnails, only the folders with photos....not sure I can specify that closely. I'll do some research.

Thanks

o

I'd try the fix again, and then reboot after.

o

browse window box.. maybe has a setting at top for icon view size

Here is a link that might be useful: http://tinypic.com/r/2qxw8/6

o

You can try this too, # 2 on left increase folder size to 8000.

Here is a link that might be useful: kellys-korner-xp

o

I have a similar situation except it doesn't cause me as much grief.

Windows will not alphabetise my photos. Each time I make a new folder it ends up last, no matter what I name it. It makes it a pain to find folders, yet, if I upload photos to a website, the browse button open in correct order, making it easy for me to find the folder.

It has been doing this for a long time and I've tried changing setting, etc. Nothing works. I've just gotten used to it.

Hope you find a fix.

Jane

o

Here is a screenshot where I am adding a photo to an Amazon listing. As you can see there are a ton of numbered photos and I really need the view to be thumbnail to select the correct photo. I do use the little menu to change to thumbnail and it does change but it won't stick.

When I go to upload the next picture two minutes later I have to change it again and every time.

When I open the same folder from My Documents it shows in thumbnail every time.

I ran the Fixit again and rebooted and I downloaded and installed the registry fix too.

o

I'm clueless. I feel your pain when I was doing Real Estate on line I had a ton of photos, that extra step you're having to do would have been awful.

Joe

o

I dont have winXP to play with
If you right click that folder, and properties/customize.
.. is the folder set as Pictures ?

can you right click on a blank spot within that folder and see View.... on the context menu

o

I right clicked and in Properties/Customize it was set to Photo Album which I switched to Pictures.

When I right clicked on a black space I did see View and it was set to Thumbnails. It is only when using Browse to get to it that it shows List view.

o

Download and try out FastStone Image Viewer, it's freeware. You may find its method of displaying a folder's image contents helpful

o

I have XP in VirtualBox so just booted it to test. It looks to me like XP does not remember the view setting in the "Common Dialog Box"(FileOpenDialog). Windows 7 seems to, I don't know about Vista.

I found ways to change the "Places Bar", but no way to change default view.

Short of using a third party utility or upgrading Windows, I wasn't able to find a way to do it.

I'm not an expert though, and may be totally misunderstanding.

o

Thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here