Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steve Jobs, founder of Apple

Posted by grandms (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 11 at 20:10

Just saw an item on Facebook from our local newspaper that Apple announced today that Steve Jobs has died. He was 58.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steve Jobs, founder of Apple

Such a clever man dying so young. He has certainly left his mark though. RIP.

o

Actually, he was only 56. I had a senior moment when typing. Although I personally never used Apple products, one has to admire someone with so much vision and drive.

Apple just recently passed Exxon/Mobile as the most highly valued company.

o

I'm somewhat at a loss for words but Steve's contributions to the world of technology and the lives of tens, if not, hundreds of millions of people is staggering. He and Apple took technology and made it accessible.

We've lost one of the greats...

o

If atheists had "saints", he would be a candidate. Authentic genius -- with the grace to step aside when he ran out of gas.

o

Google added a small, one-line tribute to Steve Jobs to arguably its most valuable asset -- its home page.

It read, "Steve Jobs, 1955 - 2011."

The unadorned text honoring the Apple co-founder and former CEO who died Wednesday is an interesting move because Apple and Google are major rivals and occasionally business partners.

"At one time, Google and Apple were close allies, with Google's former CEO, Eric Schmidt, sitting on Apple's board of directors.

Google's Android mobile operating system is the most widely used in the world, and Apple's iPhone and iPad are the most popular smartphones and tablets sold.

Touchscreen smartphones weren't widely used before the iPhone, a device that literally changed the way phones and mobile applications are viewed and used. Some believe Android wouldn't exist without the release of that influential product.

Google's influence isn't removed from the iPhone either. Tap on the maps app and up pops Google Maps. The default search engine in the iPhone and on iPad's Safari Web browser? Google."

And maybe that's the point. There are only so many major players in the tech industry and just as there is one Google and one Apple, there is one Steve Jobs. And Google can't help but recognize that.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/

o

Steve Jobs was one of those people who makes me feel good about this country and optimistic about our future. You can still come from nowhere or anywhere and if you have the brains, the creativity, the work ethic, you can change the world. I think he'll be remembered with Thomas Edison and Henry Ford as one of the great innovators.

o

no doubt one of the true greats and leaders in technology he will be remembered for his accomplishments. Now this is a man that should be given a major award, he really did something to deserve one.
My sympathy to his family and friends, I know that loss has to hurt deeply.

o

He was one of the greats! He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

My blessings to his family.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here