Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have lost START Menu button, Bottom Task Bar,

Posted by lotodig (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 20:02

and all Desktop Icons. My well meaning grandson has messed up my computer and I'm just hoping it's not as bad as it looks.

I have HP Pavilion, vista, 64, FF,IE,Chrome

It started when there was a notice that popped up that said something to the effect that there were too many programs running on start up that it was affecting something or another. The notice would then disappear before I could read it all. So my grandson was going to help and said he would go into Task Management and check the processing tab. Well that's what he did and he clicked on several things on the list and right clicked that item and hit "END PROCESS".

Now I have no bottom task bar, no start button, nothing across the bottom of my screen. I also have absolutely nothing on my desktop, except the picture that I use for a background. The right click on the desktop does not engage, it will not show any menu whatsoever.

I was lucky that I had a window open so that I could get to this forum...the top tool bars are all OK.

I thought about doing a system restore but am afraid to mess around too much trying to restore things, I didn't want to heap damage on top of damage.

Help will be appreciated, do you think a 'system restore' will put things back the way they were or what should I do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have lost START Menu button, Bottom Task Bar,

found this at the link below:
The workaround: press CTRL+ALT+DEL to fire up the Task Manager. Now on the File menu, select New Task (Run...). Type in "explorer" and press OK. That should restart explorer and re-display your Taskbar.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Taskbar is missing and I have no Start button - what do I do?

o

chemocurl, I thank you so very much....that seems to have done the trick. Everything is back to normal as far as I can tell. Woopee.

I'm so lucky and thankful to have found this forum and received all the help that I have. Wow, I was afraid that is was going to be a disaster. THANK YOU again.

o

You're so welcome. It's not often that I can actually help anyone.

o

All your grandson did was stop a process he shouldn't have; he didn't actually make any permanent changes to your computer. All you needed to do was reboot to get back to normal. Remember that you don't need to be able to navigate anywhere on the screen to reboot. If you need to reboot due to some other problem in the future, you can just hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds until the computer shuts down and reboots itself.

o

kudzu9, thanks, I'll try to remember that for future reference. But you have the knowledge of the workings of the computer and the confidence to do those kinds of fixes, but you are talking to a person that had no idea what to do. The learning go on...

o

lotodig-
Just so you're more confident, I've re-booted my computer many times over the years using the technique I've described. Several times, for example, my cursor has frozen so I couldn't navigate to do anything, such as re-boot normally. I didn't always know why some problem was happening, but I did know that the power button re-boot would not make anything worse. Usually the only time you can have a problem is if you decide to do a re-boot/re-start of any kind in the middle of some major activity where you are making changes to the computer, such as installing updates or doing a defragmentation. However, in the other 99.9% of cases, all you're doing is cleaning out the RAM of some unexplained little problem and starting fresh.

o

Or, you may get a black and white DOS screen reporting Windows has shut down abruptly, and several options for a user to select. It's been a while, but as I recall the last time at work where we lost power to the XP systems the correct selection was to choose Normal. My Vista system did it once a long time ago, and I can't remember the options.

DA

o

thanks for the encouragement..I have learned so much from lurking here for several years now.

o

damccoy is correct, and I should have mentioned that detail. When it reboots after a power button shutdown, you are likely to get a screen stating that Windows didn't shut down normally. Don't panic...that's what happened, but it doesn't mean anything bad or that you messed anything up! All you have to do is select "Start Windows Normally" from the options that are displayed if it isn't already highlighted.

o

I was just working on an Acer laptop yesterday when it locked up. I had to manually shut it down, then restart. The Error-Checking utility appeared announcing possible disk errors along with the opportunity to abort the process if so desired. I seized the chance to skip the process, and the system operated normally.

It took me back to the pre-XP days when the System File Checker was a common ritual.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here