Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't get on Internet because of virus

Posted by auntis (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 19:53

Some things popped up when my daughter was using computer. She closed the pop ups, but now none of the programs will run, our antivirus wont run, and we r unable to connect to Internet explorer. Any ideas on how to fix this without Internet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't get on Internet because of virus

Tap the F8 key repeatedly while starting.
This will take you to the start up options menu.

Probably choose there last working configuration restore point. Or some computers will have Repair my computer.. which takes you to more options .. and from that screen you can choose what date you would like to go back in history to.. with the System Restore

o

If you towed your car to the dealer and told the service advisor "it made a noise and now I can't start it"...they might possibly fix it but not until they charged you a ton of money to check everything because you told them almost nothing. This forum seems to be a magnet for posts such as this and it just boggles my mind.

After you pay someone to fix it, the person using this computer should consider some basic instruction on how problems such as this can be avoided otherwise I can assure you it will happen again.

o

I've linked to the Amazon reviews of a virus removal tool sold there.
As a fellow non expert, I've also been pleased with the results of my purchase and received great support when needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Reviews

o

Please do not purchase any products. You can get help to clean this yourself, please go to the link I provide and register there, you will need to start a post there just like you did here. I am there too. The team there will help you step by step to run some special scans and programs to clean up your pc, all free, and you will learn a lot in the process. go there and please only follow the directions given to you there, do not follow any directions you may see for someone else.
LzD forum
Analysis and Malware Removal
Please start your post over there in the malware removal area I have linked you to.
If you need help getting there let me know.
The pro team is from all over the world so be patient someone will be there to help you.

o

RC, I believe the op said she can't get online

o

Can you use the computer you posted here with to download a program? If so go here and click to download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 from the author's site.

Then go here to read the How To Geek's tutorial on how to use the program you have downloaded above.

Read the tutorial carefully and follow along, it will take care of any infections your computer may have.

o

The team at LzD will be able to help get it working as long as they have another computer that works to communicate with which apparently they do.
The ones that disable the AV and settings like that are really best handled at the removal forums where they can read the logs and determine if all remnants are removed.

o

The ones that disable the AV and settings like that are really best handled at the removal forums where they can read the logs and determine if all remnants are removed.

Why would you presume that any rescue disk from reputable companies would not be capable of cleaning a computer? Most have been around for the best part of a tidy while and seem very competent.

o

They are quite often a great resource but having seen these type in particular, the use of combo fix with guidance for what remains is essential.
Some types of infection can be fully removed with use of those discs and I have recommended them, but it won't do it all is the point. And if assistance is going to be needed for use of other programs like combo fix for example then it is really better to have the help from the beginning so everyone is on the same page.
For some people with out step by step guidance this kind of removal can be very daunting.
I am not diminishing the effectiveness of the mentioned discs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here